Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: House Cleaner?

mustangquilts, enjoy once you start moving your "me" time might be very little. Hope you get a lot of quilting done.

Enjoy your Me time. For those of us that live in busy households or just two person households, there is nothing nicer than being "Home Alone". Don't waste this time by cleaning!

Blog Entries
    I am enjoying time alone at the moment. Usually when DH goes away he always comes back early, so this time he didn't give me an ETA. He does what I call a road trip each year which gives me a break. As a Vietnam vet he can be hard work at times as he has PTSD. I think the time away does us both good and reminds us how much we still mean to each other. We've been married 45 years this year.

Where in Wyoming? I use to live in Wyoming. Wamsutter, Wyoming and went to school in Rawlins.

Sounds like fun I think sometimes you get more done when you are working and home alone. My DH and I are married 50 yrs this Dec. and I can sew when I want except I sometimes feel quilty leaving the housework when I know it's waiting for me. It is hard getting used to getting a new routine with DH home all the time but I like it. Enjoy your 7 days they'll go quick for sure. Sue

You're my hero!!!! Have a great week. Enjoy every minute of it.
    Jenel Looney
    Assistant to Susan Mallery
    New York Times bestselling author

Just have a ball....sounds like so much FUN!!!
    There is no place like home!

I enjoy my husband's company and also enjoy my own when he goes on golf trips or just spends half a day at the golf course, which he does frequently. Not sure we'd enjoy each other so much if it was a 24/7 arrangement, and he would really be unhappy if he couldn't get out to the golf course. He's a sweetie and a big help around here, but nothing inspires him to start a conversation better than the sight of me trying to read a book, and if I'm quilting he is sure to want me to come out and help him decide were to plant flowers. He plants them and cares what I think, so how could I possibly complain?! Then there is the problem of mealtimes being somewhat sacrosanct if he's here, whereas on my own I only eat when and what I feel like eating. He even cooks breakfast and makes sandwiches for lunch quite often, so of course I wouldn't complain, and if he cooks or brings home carry-out, you know I'm going to show up on time!

Isn't it lucky that we have a nice hobby to keep us from sitting around making unreasonable demands on our mates' time?
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VickieW View Post
    Where in Wyoming? I use to live in Wyoming. Wamsutter, Wyoming and went to school in Rawlins.
    We bought 41 acres about 19 miles outside of Sundance. It is covered in Ponderosa Pines. Love it. Have to drive through three ranches to get to it. Very secluded and just what we love. We laugh cause if you pull our place up on a GPS our road is called Community Cow Pasture Road. We get lots of laughs with that. DH has no hobbies but loves to work outside. This will be perfect for when we totally retire next year. He has already started building magical places around the property for the GK's. A swing, play house, benches, a pond, and the list will go one. It is up to the GK's to find them. It has been lots of fun. The GK's love to go looking for them. Can't wait to finally get to live there year round.

I LOVE my husband. He is very helpful in picking fabric, giving opinions on what is and isn't acceptable, and fixing dinner. BUT alone is good too. Sometimes I just like knowing that I am not ignoring him or anything else when I am closed up in my sewing room. We are retired and I sometimes think - gee I wish he would go somewhere for a few days. I LOVE my husband, but there is a plus to solitude too.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Power Poster
    Lucky lady. It would be so nice to have a house cleaner, however, having the house to myself for 7 days would be fantastic. Enjoy the quilting, cookies and chocolate and when you go back to work - fire the house cleaner. LOL Enjoy your special time.

I understand your joy at having your home to yourself. My husband went to Italy for three months and I sewed and sewed to my hearts content and went to sleep when I wanted. No dishes to wash, ate from paper plates, no cooking, ordered out. We communicated on Skype every couple of days and we both had our own wonderful vacations.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
    I enjoy my husband's company and also enjoy my own when he goes on golf trips or just spends half a day at the golf course, which he does frequently. Not sure we'd enjoy each other so much if it was a 24/7 arrangement, and he would really be unhappy if he couldn't get out to the golf course. He's a sweetie and a big help around here, but nothing inspires him to start a conversation better than the sight of me trying to read a book, and if I'm quilting he is sure to want me to come out and help him decide were to plant flowers. He plants them and cares what I think, so how could I possibly complain?! Then there is the problem of mealtimes being somewhat sacrosanct if he's here, whereas on my own I only eat when and what I feel like eating. He even cooks breakfast and makes sandwiches for lunch quite often, so of course I wouldn't complain, and if he cooks or brings home carry-out, you know I'm going to show up on time!

Isn't it lucky that we have a nice hobby to keep us from sitting around making unreasonable demands on our mates' time?
    your note rings bells here! My DH is quiet but also loves to talk when I have my nose in a book! By the by, your pic of the dog- how cute!

Quote Originally Posted by mustangquilts View Post
    We bought 41 acres about 19 miles outside of Sundance. It is covered in Ponderosa Pines. Love it. Have to drive through three ranches to get to it. Very secluded and just what we love. We laugh cause if you pull our place up on a GPS our road is called Community Cow Pasture Road. We get lots of laughs with that. DH has no hobbies but loves to work outside. This will be perfect for when we totally retire next year. He has already started building magical places around the property for the GK's. A swing, play house, benches, a pond, and the list will go one. It is up to the GK's to find them. It has been lots of fun. The GK's love to go looking for them. Can't wait to finally get to live there year round.

That is pretty country up around Sundance. You will love it. Folks are few and far between in that neck of the woods!

Blog Entries
    How wonderful is that! I do envy you, I always wanted to live in the country & have horses & a cow & pig for ..well you know. And to have room for GK to just run & have fun. Sounds like a lot of great memories are going to be made at G'ma & G'pa's house!

Blog Entries
    LOL oh my I totally understand. I wish you a perfect 1/4 inch seams. I will not be working this summer , first in 20 years. My plans are to finish my studio. I have 11 weeks to get it done. I have bought shelving to finish the room. I don't plan on talking on the phone, going out to dinner or yard work just organising. Happy days are coming 17 days left of school.

Have an amazing vacation...sorry your housecleaner will not get any referrals from you.

How wonderful to have some time for yourself! I miss my husband when we are apart, but it is good for each of us to have me time. Here's wishing you a great time, sort of a private retreat, and the freedom to follow your own schedule with no thoughts of chores.
    Sheri (zkosh)
    Those who can, teach. Those who canít teach get into some less significant line of work.

Blog Entries
    My husband just got back today from a week of golf at Hilton Head. Enjoyed my week "alone" but had my son and granddaughter here, so I wasn't totally alone. I agree that you need time alone every once in awhile I matter how much you do love each other. Wanting alone time is not a bad thing!

Blog Entries
    The first few years that we were married, my husband would go deer hunting or fishing and I would have a pity party....how can you spend time with those guys, when we could be together? After a few more years I realize that I looked forward to his going and my staying home. Yeah....time to myself. He has been deceased for 10 years now and I would give anything to have him here to go hunting and fishing. Enjoy every minute of your time and then enjoy your husband when he gets home. It's always nice to welcome them home.... Hugs.

Blog Entries
    This was a fun thread to read. Hope you don't take too much of your 'quilting' time to read all of our posts. :-) Ignore the housework..it will be there forever and I doubt any of us have homes that are really bad anyhow. Please post pics of what you are working on when you have time. Also, we are all waiting now to see pics of your 'new' place when you get moved in. We especially want to see 'your' room. Sounds wonderful with all the trees surrounding it and what fun to have magical places for GK's.
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

It warms my heart to read your thread. Time alone is precious time, only when you know that someone will be back. The reason we get more sewing done when we are alone is because we care very much for our DH,s, so we want to spend time with them. We just recently moved from Idaho to Southern Utah. I have not done as much quilting as I would have liked, but find, until my DH adjusts to this move, I need to spend time with him. His health is not good, in as much as he has no stamina, and tires easily, due to his Cancer treatment. He is in remission now, and he doesn't mind if I sew, in fact, he loves the quilts that I make, and doesn't mind that our whole house has the evidence of a quilter in it. I have a nice sewing room, but it spills out into the living room, that needs a little more furniture, (but in no hurry) and the second sewing machine that fits better in the M bedroom, with the walking foot, for bindings and rag quilts, and a quilt layed out on the front room carpet, waiting to be sewn together. These special men in our lives need our attention. And because we love them we give it to them, so enjoy your time alone and hopefully you will get everything done you planned, lol.
    Each day is a blessing, so do something you love each day.

Blog Entries
    Par4theday, You are a very wise woman and I love your thoughts. I too, think that more than likely, I will outlive my DH so much as he allows me to quilt as much as I want, I still make time to spend with him more than anything else. We are fortunate to have such wonderful husbands as many as not so lucky.
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

I'm with the rest. Miss him and glad for the time alone.

Blog Entries
    Like you love hubby but we are together 24\7. like paperprincess hubby wants me to go almost everywhere with him. I dont mind he has a hard time walking and i am visually impaired. Im the legs, hes the eyes! Lol. But its nice to have time to your self

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast