Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Household items turned quilting notions? >

Household items turned quilting notions?

Household items turned quilting notions?

Old 10-23-2010, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
After reading many of these posts, I just decided to add my idea. I take a recipe card (3x5) and write the topic on it and the page I have finished reading. Then if I don't get to read all the posts, I know where to pick up. When I go back, I start on the page I left off and then cross it off when I move on. When I have to quit reading, I write down the page number again etc. I have about 3 topics on each side of card. Some of the posts are over 50 pages long so I have not yet come to the end but at least I know what I have read. Hope that is clear. Some days I have the compulsion to sew instead of reading all these wonderful topics. :-) Great thread!
Great Idea! I often flip page by page trying to figure out where I left off. Thanks Sandy! I can spend hours on this board...LOL.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:05 AM

After reading many of these posts, I just decided to add my idea. I take a recipe card (3x5) and write the topic on it and the page I have finished reading. Then if I don't get to read all the posts, I know where to pick up. When I go back, I start on the page I left off and then cross it off when I move on. When I have to quit reading, I write down the page number again etc. I have about 3 topics on each side of card. Some of the posts are over 50 pages long so I have not yet come to the end but at least I know what I have read. Hope that is clear. Some days I have the compulsion to sew instead of reading all these wonderful topics. :-) Great thread!

Great idea!
Old 10-23-2010, 09:28 AM

I use a large carpenters square when making drapes to
get an accurate straight edge. I love frezer paper. I do
a lot of doll sewing. I trace the patterns on the dull side,
cut them out, and press on the wrong side of my fabrics.
The seam allowance is eliminated. Use an open toe foot
to sew around the pattern, then cut out your fabric. This
is wonderful for tiny arms and legs. You save yourself
much frustration trying to seam tiny things. Very accurate
too. I use a triple office wall large envelope holder to
store my rulers. It hangs on the wall next to my cutting
table. Brenda (qulitaholic) Wadesville In
Old 10-23-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I have a very large heavy glass beer stein that I throw large cones of thread in that would not fit on my machine. So kind of like a spool holder. then I put it about 1 foot away behind my machine and sew or fill bobbins.
I really like your idea. I've had problems keeping the cone in place also. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2010, 04:31 PM

I have them sent to my inbox
Old 10-24-2010, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by TN Donna

I have them sent to my inbox
:oops: How do you do that?
Old 10-24-2010, 06:02 AM

From the office supply store: I bought a pkg of the nubbed nubber finger thingees. Great to scrap off loose threads when you have to rip out stitches and have the tiny thread ends to get rip off. Could use masking tape to do this, but I found the tape pulls the fab too much.

I design quilts on my EQ5. I print out a pic of the quilt, put it in a page protector and then auditioin quilting designs using a dry erase marker.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:33 AM

I didn't find this item in my house, but it works! I purchased a set of bed raisers, plastic boxes that raise you bed for underbed storage. These are now under my super quilter table and no more back ache! Got them from Mary Maxim and they came in 3 sizes. 3", 5" and 6". 3 and 5 can be used together for 8".
Old 10-24-2010, 09:44 AM

While cleaning out a closet yesterday I found one of those basins that they give you in the hospital. I use these in cabinets to organize shampoo,deodorant, etc. and thought why not use one to keep my fat quarters together. Sure enough it works and I can just pull on the basin and not send the fabric flying. I like the idea so much I may have to find another way to keep the shampoo, etc. in order; so I'm robbing one closet to organize my quilting. Hey it seems like the right thing to do.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by BettyGee
While cleaning out a closet yesterday I found one of those basins that they give you in the hospital. I use these in cabinets to organize shampoo,deodorant, etc. and thought why not use one to keep my fat quarters together. Sure enough it works and I can just pull on the basin and not send the fabric flying. I like the idea so much I may have to find another way to keep the shampoo, etc. in order; so I'm robbing one closet to organize my quilting. Hey it seems like the right thing to do.
You don't mean the one they give you to "sit on" do you?
:lol: