Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Housework >

Housework

Housework

Old 03-14-2011, 01:47 PM

I alway say 'The mess will disappear once the project is done'. Now which project are you asking?
Old 03-14-2011, 01:56 PM

My MIL house was a museum and the kids could not touch anything! We stayed in hotels for visits. My MIL followed her house cleaners around to make sure they were cleaning to her standards. She had trouble finding more as so many never returned. At my folks house the kids were loved and enjoyed their grandparents. Mom and Dad kept a clean, tidy place, but let the kids get messy and even joined in the fun. Guess which my kids remember best?
Old 03-14-2011, 02:10 PM

Just wait patiently, soon we can open the windows and hopefully all the dust bunnies will go away. :shock:
Old 03-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
How do you find time to get housework done when all you want to do is quilt? My house sure suffers when I am in the quilting mood which is most of the time. Any secrets, please pass them along.
I have the opposite problem...i CAN'T quilt with housework waiting!
Does that mean I have a spotless house?
Noooo, it doesn't. It's decent, but health makes me so slow, by the time I get the majority of the important stuff, theres no time or energy left.
Interested to read what others say.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by milp04
Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
How do you find time to get housework done when all you want to do is quilt? My house sure suffers when I am in the quilting mood which is most of the time. Any secrets, please pass them along.
Yes, our houses do suffer once we find quilting!

I can suggest the FlyLady method. She has a group on yahoo. It is a group for those with fibro. It's a method where you divide up the house in sections and work on different sections different days of the week. She teaches how to short-cut house chores and gives lots of tips.

Use a timer, work on the house, then reward yourself with quilting. The quilting reward makes digging into the housework not seem like such a chore, cause in no time at all, you get to be back quilting.

When life tends to take over, try to get at least 15 minutes of sewing in each day. You will not feel quite as deprived and the little bits of sewing daily tend to add up by the end of the week.

I'll be watching this thread to see what others have to share.

Pam M
I think I love you! I have fibromyalgia and this sounds great! I can have both???? wow!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:18 PM

My house is such a mess, all I want to do is quilt, or be on this board. I try to do a little of something but it really needs a good cleaning. One day.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:26 PM

Now that I've read all of the responses so far, I realize I'm not such a slob as I thought I must be. WE all just enjoy doing what we love. I've heard the expression that says, "You can't take it with you." Well that applies to many things: money, possessions, yatayatayata -- and especially dust. Oh wait, We will all be dust anyway.

I tease my DH and tell him that if I go before he does, his new wife can clean up after me. :o)!!
Old 03-14-2011, 03:41 PM

My daughter does not quilt, she doesn't clean very often either. I told her when I become dust just sprinkle my ashes all over her house and I will be around forever!!
Old 03-14-2011, 03:46 PM

I don't think I will worry about housework anymore. I will get done what I can in the mornings and that leaves the afternoons for quilting. Sounds like a deal to me.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:23 PM

Schedule your cleaning--I spend Thursday mornings cleaning bathrooms and bedrooms, Friday morning kitchen and living areas. That gives me all the other days to quilt.