Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Houston International Quilt Festival >

Houston International Quilt Festival

Houston International Quilt Festival

Old 10-28-2014, 04:18 AM

Default Houston International Quilt Festival

Hi ladies! Any going to the Houston quilt festival? Those who are going, what are your must visit booths and vendors you will stop at?

I always go to the Hobbs booth and buy the batting precut squares. These are very inexpensive and great for making small quilt sandwich to practice FMG a before starting a new technique on a quilt. I also found that they have excellent prices on their bolts of batting. A friend of mine and I split a bolt and there is enough for each of us to do 10 quilts. They sell 100 percent cotton and bamboo, silk and wool also.

Another must visit booth if Filtec. I use their thread exclusively since purchasing my Handi Quilter 16. Their thread is made in the USA and does not leave any lint in my bobbin casing. I love their pre-wound bobbins and their large cones of thread. And better yet, they do not charge any tax at festival.

I am taking a class at festival so I can get in tomorrow at 5 pm and plan to shop till they close at 10 pm. Going back Thursday with a friend and plan on shopping from 10 am to 5 pm. Going back with a friend on Sunday from 9 am to noon for my class. Then will shop until the show close at 4 pm. Looking forward to a great show!
Old 10-28-2014, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like you have a good plan. It is such a large show, it is hard to stick with a plan. I have only gone to Quilt Market which is held the week before the public festival. I enjoyed stopping at the Hobbs batting. They use to give so many samples I had difficult flying home !!
Old 10-28-2014, 08:41 AM

Hi, Kathy. I'm at work right now, a couple blocks from the GRB. I have my first class Wednesday at 2:00 (like you, so I will be in the building when the doors open at 5:00). I will look at quilts Thursday morning, then class that afternoon. Friday, I will shop all day. Saturday morning, I'm doing the Saturday Sampler. If you've never done one of them (they have a Friday Sampler, too), I recommend them, because you get a handout with all the information from each teacher, usually 20 or so. Gives me ideas about which classes I may want to take next year. Saturday afternoon is for shopping / quilts. Then I have a class in FMQ on Sunday morning.

I love to stay Sunday afternoon. Last year, I got one of the small Tuttos for $75. A couple years ago, my sister bought 7 king-size 80/20 cotton batts for $100 plus tax. Worked out to $14 and change each.

Also, if you've never done Quiltapalooza on Thursday night or Gala on the Green on Saturday night, you might want to give them a try.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:39 PM

I always have to find, pet, and drool over the Cherrywood fabrics.

Kai has a booth, and I always treat myself to something there. Best nail clippers I've ever owned came from Kai, and I love their scissors.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:26 AM

Really need to make a list of booth numbers so I know where I need to go LOL I wanted to get Quilters Slide Lock and maybe some new gadgets that catch my eye. (Gadget girl strikes again!)
Old 10-29-2014, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

I haven't been to Houston in years but I do go to Paducah and will go to the NQA show in June. I make sure I go to the Hobbs booth to get the pre cut squares. They are fantastic and cheap. It's hard to carry three big pink bags of batting around so I leave it with the package sitter. I buy those first because they will run out if you want until you leave so pay the package sitter fee. The wholesale stabilizer/fusible vendor is another place that has the better deals at quilt shows. The rest of the vendors I consider candy, consume with restraint. LOL
Old 10-29-2014, 05:31 AM

Thanks to all who responded. Lots of good information on things I was not aware of. Leaving for downtown at 1 pm today. My friend and her sister have a hotel room for tonight and Thursday night. I will hang around with them until 5 pm when we will walk over to the GRB a and start jump starting the economy!