Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Houston Quilt Show >
  • Houston Quilt Show

• Houston Quilt Show

Old 11-07-2010, 02:24 PM

Just got home from the Houston Quilt Show. The quilts there were amazing! Really something to aspire to. My only purchase was a sit-on lap frame. Love to hear from others who went to the show. I know I must have bumped into you at some point. No pics but maybe someone else would have some to share.
    Old 11-07-2010, 04:43 PM

Lucky you!!! I would love to go there sometime. A couple of people have posted pics of some of the many fabulous quilts that were there. They really are something to behold!!

You avatar quilt looks so interesting. Care to post a pic of it for us to see it up close and personal? :wink:
    Old 11-07-2010, 05:48 PM
    Power Poster

I've been reading the shop blog posts about the Market before the show. I like seeing all pictures of the vendor booths since they are not allowed to be photographed during the quilt show. I love seeing the amazing quilts at the big shows but after the first 50 or so my mind and eye glazes from the perfection. Vendor booth quilts are more doable for me.
    Old 11-07-2010, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by quilter rkc
    Just got home from the Houston Quilt Show. The quilts there were amazing! Really something to aspire to. My only purchase was a sit-on lap frame. Love to hear from others who went to the show. I know I must have bumped into you at some point. No pics but maybe someone else would have some to share.
    A sit on lap frame? Must have been special - want to share a picture of it and tell us WHY you thought it was so special that you bought it...may we won't be able to live without one either! :wink:
    Old 11-07-2010, 06:14 PM

I'm a newbie who went and walked around in a daze. Wow, wow, wow! I bought some kits - I'm insecure about choosing fabrics. The Fabric Cafe booth had 3 1-yard pieces bundled together for $20 and you got a free pattern with each bundle - supposed to be $4.95 for the pattern. One bundle made a lap-size, two bundles made a twin, etc. I loved the way they were put together and will know more what to look for now that I've seen how others selected fabrics for a quilt. Their website was fun to look at, too. (www.fabriccafe.com) Lots of booths had fQ, found them for $1 and got some of those. Another booth had FQ for $1.69 - buy 10 get 2 free. So got some Christmas fabrics there. I agree that the quilts displayed at the vendor booths were more my style, but wow - I could admire the expertise and work that went into the ones on exhibit.

I know the bundles from Fabric Cafe weren't an incredible bargain, but ... made me happy!

Next year I may actually know what I'm looking at!

Fabric Cafe bundles
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]121240[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-121235.jpe  
    Old 11-07-2010, 06:38 PM

I went for the first time and it was way better than I imagined!!!!! I didn't take any pictures, but can you imagine almost 1,000 vendors all in one place? And on top of that, all the exquisite, fabulous gorgeous quilts for viewing.

It was simply quilters' heaven!

For the longest time, I thought I wasn't going to buy anything but an ironing board cover for my tabletop ironing board. But, no, I managed to purchase a brand spanking new Babyloc self-threading serger!!!!!! I have to wait for them to ship it to me -- 2 weeks. Aaaaarrrgh!!!!
    Old 11-09-2010, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by pab58
    Lucky you!!! I would love to go there sometime. A couple of people have posted pics of some of the many fabulous quilts that were there. They really are something to behold!!

You avatar quilt looks so interesting. Care to post a pic of it for us to see it up close and personal? :wink:
    Thanks for asking about my avatar. It is a sampler I completed this summer. You can find my original post by searching under "First Sampler". There are a couple of close up pics there.
    Old 11-09-2010, 09:09 PM

Love the Fabric Cafe. I also bought a set nad also a christmas kit - 2 actually. One fro my secret pal in Australia. I love the fabrics they had. Waned more but will go online. lOL. It was fun. Sorry I missed seeing everyone.
    Old 11-10-2010, 03:50 AM

I went again this year, and had a blast...and spent a lot of money :) Stayed Thursday to Sunday. In my area, there are no shops that carry any longarm tools/supplies, so every year I go to Houston and stock up. This includes a years worth of needles, threads, some new pantos, new templates, a few new quilting patterns, a little fabric, and some books. Mostly I buy longarm stuff.

But boy, did I have fun! I took 2 longarm classes, and enjoyed those a lot. Even had one of the 'famous' teachers take my practice stacked feathers and show them to everyone saying how lovely they were and how this was the way to make them, and then when we were to create a unique design, she brought mine up to the monitor and blew it up to show it to the entire class and explained what was so pretty about it. I was so pleased...like a child :) LOL!

Anyway, I had a great time. Lovely quilts - something always to rejuvenate me and make me desire to quilt more and push myself for the next year! I so wish everyone could have been there! This is one show not to miss, in my book...and I try hard not too.

Debbie in Austin