Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Houston!!! >

Houston!!!

Houston!!!

Old 10-31-2013, 01:58 PM

Default Houston!!!

My friend Cindi and I are in Houston, and this show is absolutely fantastic! The quilts are gorgeous. There's a section of Japanese quilts, which is one of my favorite styles. I'm really hoping this will help persuade the American magazine industry to start publishing articles featuring these beautiful quilts.

We both are getting so inspired!!! There are a lot of beautiful, traditional-style quilts with some really innovative twists. My favorite so far is a gorgeous feathered star that features prairie points on the triangles. I never would have thought of that, and it is such a neat detail! Cindi loves 2-color quilts and there are several lovely 2-color quilts in the show.

For those who are attending the show, I'd love to hear what you found the most inspiring!
Old 10-31-2013, 02:06 PM

I'm going to be there in the morning. I can hardly wait! I've got my ticket all printed and ready to go!
Old 10-31-2013, 02:21 PM

OMG!! I wish I could go too !! Take pics if possible !
Old 10-31-2013, 04:41 PM

Cash's Mom, have a GREAT time - we certainly have! Pjaco, We have already taken about 300 pictures. As usual, we'll Peggi does amazing blog posts for our Houston trips, so check it out there after we get back! I can't believe how great the show is this year. The quilts are simply amazing. I'm loving the way they've taken traditional quilts and twisted them just enough to give them a fresh, new look! It's really, really given me a lot of great ideas, and I'm SO inspired to try something new!!
Old 10-31-2013, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I'm going to be there in the morning. I can hardly wait! I've got my ticket all printed and ready to go!
Me too! I have made out my shopping list (flexible, of course!) and am really looking forward to being inspired. There is no end to the amount of talent displayed and I couldn't think of a better way to spend the day. Have fun, and we could even bump into one another without even realising it.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:51 PM

Was there all day (have the swollen feet & ankles to prove it )...saw the most beautiful quilts ever! I'm so inspired! And so many ideas and techniques.... Great day!
Old 10-31-2013, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cornishlass View Post
Me too! I have made out my shopping list (flexible, of course!) and am really looking forward to being inspired. There is no end to the amount of talent displayed and I couldn't think of a better way to spend the day. Have fun, and we could even bump into one another without even realising it.
We could! You never know. I'm so excited that I get to go 3 days this year. The last few years I could only go on Thurs and Fri, but this year I'm going Fri, Sat and Sun. One more day of fun! Yay!
Old 11-01-2013, 04:17 AM

I'm honestly more in love with the show this year - there seem to be many more traditional quilts than last year, when it seemed to be overrun with art quilts. Don't get me wrong, I like art quilts, but am really inspired by traditional. I love that almost every one of the traditional quilts are tweaked just a bit to give it a fresh, new look. So many "oh, why didn't I ever think of that??" moments yesterday!
Old 11-02-2013, 04:15 AM

I went yesterday and loved it. I just want to thank the members on this board that said if you like something you see, you better get it now -- it may be gone. Boy did that feel like permission to buy!
Old 11-02-2013, 05:35 AM

That is sooooo true. Glide thread has a booth, and within just 2 days they are out of all their neutral colors of Glide. They've got a great offer - you can get six 5500 yd. cones of thread for $45!! I got lucky and got the last two cones of linen and Pearl. The guy there said they brought 3x the amount of thread from last year, and they still ran out within two days!!