Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to “age” or fade fabric? >

How to “age” or fade fabric?

How to “age” or fade fabric?

Old 09-29-2021, 12:05 PM

Question How to “age” or fade fabric?

I need help from the experts! I’ve researched online about how to fade colors with bleach (using Martha Stuart’s three bucket method), but I don’t understand how to do it so the fabric doesn’t end up “splotchy”. I want my fabric to EVENLY fade, not look like a tie-dye project or a bleaching incident gone awry!

I’m planning a quilt which will have large alternating blocks of the US and UK flags. Both flags (Old Glory and the Union Jack) are red, white, and blue. I want to “mellow out” the fabric so it doesn’t have any super intense /vibrant colors.

Old 09-29-2021, 12:45 PM
mkc

TBH, the best option would be buying fabrics where the colors are already muted/faded looking. Trying to do a controlled fade to replicate aging is going to be nearly impossible and you may also weaken the fabric.

Last edited by mkc; 09-29-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:55 PM

It is very difficult to obtain exact results when using bleach or "discharge" techniques. It is always darker when wet for one thing...

But the key is to have the fabric already wet when you apply it to the bleach bath, and that the bleach has been stirred into the bath instead of adding it after the fabric. Make sure it is evenly and well saturated -- that is, poke it down!

It's only going to be splotchy if you try for it, or don't thoroughly wet the fabric both before and during the treatment.

To change the tone of fabric, you can also consider tea dying colors. I do that sort of thing in the microwave, using a huge pyrex bowl I have. Again, first you make the tea dye bath, then you add the already wet fabric into it and make sure it is well saturated. Tea can take a long time to impact a red or blue... again, hard to tell when wet what the end results will be.
Old 09-29-2021, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

Before trying to fade your fabrics, you might look into tea dyeing. Tea dyeing can give a nice older appearance.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

Bleaching will weaken cotton fabric. If you do use bleach keep a spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide handy Peroxide will stop the chlorine bleaching process. What I would do is start with a light solid fabric and add color to it gradually until it looks like a darker color has faded. I will be the first to say go for it. It will be fun to see the outcome.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
TBH, the best option would be buying fabrics where the colors are already muted/faded looking. Trying to do a controlled fade to replicate aging is going to be nearly impossible and you may also weaken the fabric.
I totally agree with this.

Or you could try using the back/wrong side of the fabrics.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:13 AM

I have successfully 'gently' faded fabric by putting it through a wash cycle with a small amount of bleach added. I needed a bit more black fabric, but as everyone knows, there are a gazillion different shades of black. I had one that was just a bit darker than what I had already used. I ended up needing to do the process twice to get the right shade but it did work.
Old 10-02-2021, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

I like and use the tea dying method. There are lots of tutorials on doing this and Iceblossom explained it well.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:28 AM

I have tea dyed several times to give an aged look to my fabrics. It works great and is easy to do.