Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how bad is bad? >

how bad is bad?

how bad is bad?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:02 AM

Quilting is an art where you learn and gain experience with each new project. A wise older quilter shared a great truism with me one day when I was distressed with blocks that didn't match up. She told me experienced quilters intentionally put errors in their work to remind us that none of us are perfect and the only perfect work is the Lord's. I love that story and remember it each time I sew. Who would know if your errors were intentional or not??
Old 04-24-2011, 09:14 AM

I appreciate this topic. I am afraid to FM my charity quilts because I am not that good at it. BUT I will FM quilts I give to my friends. I have to laugh that I am more afraid of what a stranger will think when they get the charity quilt than what my friends will think!! I could keep a psychologist busy for awhile with that one!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by jbronston
My quilt guild finds it very easy to complain about charity quilts.......... Our Community Projects chairman made her worker day ladies take out all the Christmas and Halloween fabrics because they weren't politically correct for donations! They don't have to give a quilt with Christmas fabric to a Jewish child, but why deprive the Christian child of it?
Sounds like a certain PL co-coordinator I no longer give quilts to~~~~I got verbally reamed just because I made a quilt with a Bible story book panel on the front....AND how dare I make quilts with POLY knits???? They were cute, bright quilts and I made a bunch for teen boys at her request.....Well, those polys will almost certainly outlive the cotton ones after upteen trips through the washer and dryer!
Those you give a quilt to will NOT care that you practiced FM!Q--they will not even notice mistakes. I had some big boo-boos on some quilts while teaching the GKs to lay out designs and to piece, but nobody noticed the goofs but me!
the funny part was that even quilters did not notice!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:27 AM

Quilts are donated for a cause. Not for the way they are made. Give the quilt,they'll never notice the stitching being that way.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:32 AM

That is so bad! People must be insecure and have problems with how they are perceived.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:32 AM

Debbie, maybe the flowers look my mine do today, wilted and a leaf falling off, the roses are half opened. It is a gorgeous quilt no matter what the quilting looked like. I think it will be loved just the way it is, don't beat yourself up, it probably looks a lot better than some other ones. (oops, I meant Gracey)
Old 04-24-2011, 10:52 AM

You started and that is what is important. Don't let a little mistake get you down. Just keep up the good work.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Pieceful Quilter
Someone (maybe on this board?) once said, "If you can't see your mistakes while riding by on a galloping horse, they aren't mistakes!" I like that idea!!
I like that quote and have laughed at it many times while remembering it. I was trying to remember it when I read yours. Thanks for posting it.

Do you think the person who posted it here made it up herself? I'd like to make up a sign for my sewing room and give her credit. :)
Old 04-24-2011, 12:33 PM

I wouldn't worry about it if you are not competing. We all have to learn sometime.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by GraceyFaas
I'm finishing my first FM quilt and i found it to be harder than I thought. My lines are really not straight and flowers are distorted. Is this acceptble for a charity quilt? I am learning but also embarrassed.
My daughter told me that the "glitches" in a quilt are what makes them one of a kind, unique, and gives them character. She should know, she volunteered me to do my first quilt for a friend. Turned out wonderful if you didn't know where the glitches were. Free motion is even better. You can always pretend you meant to do it that way.