Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How big was your first quilt? >

How big was your first quilt?

How big was your first quilt?

Old 03-20-2011, 03:22 PM

Mine was a twin size for my daughter when she was 5, she's 42 now, it was just blocks set together and tied using yarn, with a yellow flannel backing. She still has it.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:56 PM

Mine was a queen size granny squares quilt. Around 1970 I cut the 4" squares out of remnants from dresses my 3 sisters and I made during junior high and high school and put them in a box. Ten years later, as a newlywed who needed bedding, I finished it. We still use it for picnics, camping, trips to the beach. It has been snuggled in by my childen, and now my grandchildren. Both of my girls have asked me to give it to them. It certainly isn't a perfect quilt, but oh the memories!
Old 03-20-2011, 06:03 PM

Between a crib and twin and it was a Sun Bonnet Sue. I made it in January of this year.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:22 PM

I made my first quilt in 1967 when my daughter was 4. I made all her baby clothes out of flannel of different colors and prints. I cut 2" squares by hand , use flannel for batting and flannel for backing. Sewed it all by hand because I didn't have sewing machine so pinned it all out and tied it with wool yarn. It was all in pastels. It was really beautiful. I still have it wears,tears and all its love....I will see if I can post a pic....
Old 03-20-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by SaraSewing
Originally Posted by drgranny
My first quilt was log cabin. I made it about 35 yrs ago. It was king size. I couldn't get a king size batt here in town and I didn't want to go to the next big town to find one so I ordered a batt of poly from an upholstery company. I got it the next day and happily spread my quilt on the floor and started rolling my batt onto my quilt back. I got it all sandwiched and got it on my frame. I started hand quilting it and thought to myself, man, how do some of those ladys get 10 stitches to the inch. I was doing good to get 4. So I quilted and quilted and hit a spot where the batting was thinner and boy! I got 8 stitches to the inch. That is when I realized that there was a difference in batting. Well, I finished
the quilt and it was so heavy I couldn't stand to sleep under it. I later found the waybill on that roll of batting and it weighed 15 pounds!!!
This story made me laugh! What a story. The visual image of this quilt is great. Do you still have this monster? Mistakes like this make us realize we all make mistakes.
My BIL lives in WVa and it gets vaery cold there. He and wife live in an old uninsulated farm house and have a wood stove for heat. He spends a lot of time in bed when he is home. So my DH was telling him about this quilt and that I wouldn't let him put in on the bed anymore. So he said send it to him. We did and he loves it. I am sorry to say I have no pictures of it.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:39 PM

I like to start small and work my way up. I made a 24"x24" quilt for my son based on the lessons here:
http://sewinginthewendycity.blogspot.com/

It took me 3 tries (3 quilts) to get a decent quilt done - and fortunately I did 3 small ones first.

The picture in my signature is #2 of this set of 3. :-)

I have 2 nice sized baby quilts pieced, sandwiched and ready to quilt. I'm free motion quilting too. Love this new hobby!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:40 PM

My first quilt was a Calf. king, log cabin. Couldn't figure out why it was 4 inches longer on one side, only to find that I had trimmed some of the blocks and not others. Had to take it apart and re do several blocks. Sew, rip out and learn.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:35 AM

Lapsized - pattern was "Cobblestone" - a variation of a bargello pattern. Have made several of the same design with different fabrics - think the pattern has a sentimental feel for me. I am very comfortable with the pattern and find myself looking at fabrics and judging whether they would look good in that design.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:21 PM

Mine was a KING size sampler......what a nut I am !!
Old 03-22-2011, 05:49 AM

It was a scrappy quilt of 4" blocks made for my oldest daughter's twin bed. The scraps came from fabric that I had used to make clothes for her. She was five years old when I made it and she took that ratty thing to college with her.