Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Can I Fix A Store Bought Quilt? >

How Can I Fix A Store Bought Quilt?

How Can I Fix A Store Bought Quilt?

Old 11-03-2013, 06:34 AM

Default How Can I Fix A Store Bought Quilt?

I know it seems silly, but I'm trying to fix a store bought quilt. I bought a cat quilt for my cat loving daughter before I knew how to quilt. It was her first quilt and she's very attached to it since it was hers since she was a toddler. The seams are breaking, though, and exposing the batting. I offered to make her another like it, but she really wants me to fix this one. I've tried to do a whip stitch, but these cheap fabrics aren't holding them very well. How would you suggest fixing it?
Old 11-03-2013, 06:47 AM
IQ2

Maybe cut it into blocks using the unripped parts and put back together with QAYG sashing...even possibly add new blocks that coordinate.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:49 AM

If the fabric is breaking down I don't think you're going to be able to restitch the seams. Could you find some kind of pretty trim that could cover the seams if it was placed on top and stitched down either side of them? Wide rickrack or something?
Old 11-03-2013, 07:09 AM

I would cut it up and use the pieces that are good and put it back together...using a few other fabrics along with it. Maybe you could make it even bigger.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:17 AM

I bet I have the same cat quilt! Yes, it's fraying and falling apart. I bought it about 15 yrs ago.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:39 AM

I would tell her about how there's no way to save all of the quilt and give her the options. Either you take it apart and use what you can, or you make her a new one with good fabrics. She doesn't have to throw out the old one, can't it become a cat blanket? I mean, my kitties love it when they get to snuggle on my quilts. You could even make that a suggestion, after remaking her quilt with quality fabrics, you could make cat beds out of what you can from the old quilt!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ps 150 View Post
I know it seems silly, but I'm trying to fix a store bought quilt. I bought a cat quilt for my cat loving daughter before I knew how to quilt. It was her first quilt and she's very attached to it since it was hers since she was a toddler. The seams are breaking, though, and exposing the batting. I offered to make her another like it, but she really wants me to fix this one. I've tried to do a whip stitch, but these cheap fabrics aren't holding them very well. How would you suggest fixing it?
My daughter had a favorite cloth doll, in a similar condition. You may be able to mend the quilt, much like I mended the doll. For the doll, I took out the stuffing and turned it wrong side out. Without removing any stitching, I place lining fabric to both front and back, then sewed along the original seam line (then restuffed the doll).

For your quilt, maybe you can remove the batting, then sew a lightweight lining to both front and back. If seam lines have been compromised, you may be able to sew alongside them, so that the new lining will prevent any further stress. Then re-sandwich the quilt and . . . at this point, I would consider hand-quilting it together, in a loose fashion. The lining should hold it together but the original fabric will still be fragile.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

If it is the seams between the blocks, I think I would look for ribbon or trims to cover all the seams. You could find a matching fabric and make long strips to appliqué but more work then trim.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart View Post
If the fabric is breaking down I don't think you're going to be able to restitch the seams. Could you find some kind of pretty trim that could cover the seams if it was placed on top and stitched down either side of them? Wide rickrack or something?
I use a lot of rick rack as accents in quilts. It does come in various widths besides the standard size that JAF sells. I remember that F&P had a show where they braided two rick rack together to hide the seam on a "Quilt as You Go" quilt.

I would consult with her on any changes before you begin unless she wants you to surprise her. She cherishes it as is. Good Luck !
Old 11-03-2013, 10:05 AM

Thanks for all these suggestions. Most of the fraying seams are along the sashing, between the blocks. I do like the idea of rick rack between them, but I think I'll ask her first. It's been really "loved" over the years, especially during her toddler years and all through her fort-building years. She's now at the age where she can take care of her bedding, though the occasional fort is still erected during sleepovers, lol.