Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to choose a pattern... >

how to choose a pattern...

how to choose a pattern...

Old 03-30-2010, 06:49 PM

For my comeback to quilting...
I have 2 that need done first, 1 full size quilt for my 13 yr old DD, and a baby quilt for a very dear friend that is 6 months pregnant.
I already know what quilt i am making for the new baby...

but the 1 for my DD is driving me crazy, ive had her look through many blocks and she likes them all (proof shes mine lol)

since it will be my first in about 5 years, i would like to do something easy enough not to overwhelm me, but more elaborate than just basic 9 patch and definitely pieced for first 1 b4 pp or applique ( a little rusty on the abbreviations, sorry) :D
color scheme is basically shades of blue/purple.
im in the process of narrowing it down to 1 out of 3

#1 log cabin with darker blues on 1 side and lighters on the other (night sky/water sort of)

#2 buttercup with darker blues as the blossom and lights as the bg

and

#3 Wagon Tracks going back and forth between dors and lights...

im guessing i will most likely make all 3 with various colors eventually, but choosing a "right now" is difficult. lol

I was wondering how everyone chooses their quilts other than "oh, this is pretty, id like to make this one" since ive said that about almost every block ive looked at lol
Old 03-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Power Poster

I very seldom get to pick a pattern. My kids usually tell me what they want and I make it. Sometimes ( if I'm lucky) they buy the fabric too. I do like your log cabin idea. I bet it would be beautiful in the colors she chose.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:18 PM

My choice of what pattern to use is most often determined by the fabric on hand (or just spotted as being the most gorgeous I've ever seen...LOL).

Now the determination of which quilt to do next is a bit more difficult unless there is a specific event (such as the upcoming birth) that demands a particular one fit itself into the overall scheme of things.

Usually I'm working on several in various stages of completion at any given time. At the moment I think I have either 5 or 6 going...some have been on the back burner for a couple of years...and I had started a pink one recently specifically for a particular birthday present and then discovered the intended recipient had a different preference of color/theme, now that one is temporarily sidelined in favor of the new color scheme...but the pink one will instead go as a baby gift a couple of months down the line.

I specifically have chosen up to this point to stick to squares and rectangles because I'm comfortable with them, but the next quilt I intend to start, which is to be a learning experience for both me and a certain 11 year old will add triangles to the mix. She designed the quilt in Quilt Wizard then picked out the fabrics from my stash...hope I have enough, as all were ones I got on sale 2 - 3 years ago.
If not we'll figure it out as we go...

So how does this help you with your decision...probably not much!
Old 03-30-2010, 08:31 PM

I would go with the log cabin myself, because it is quick and easy, especially if you use the pattern from Eleanor Burns, Log Cabin Quilt in a Day. This pattern is really quick to make and like all of her quilts and patterns look good finished too. You might also want to check out The Quilter's Cache and look at all of the patterns there, the square in a square is easy. She has so many beautiful patterns and they are free to download. Gerbie
Old 03-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Power Poster

I have always enjoyed log cabin patterns; that's the pattern I would choose.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:50 AM

My quilts are usually picked by what I have seen that I think would be "so pretty" and what I have enough material to make.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

I vote for the Log Cabin. It is easy and there are so many ways that it can be matched up.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:19 AM

Another that is easy and quick is the Disappearing 9 patch. or D9P. I don't choose a pattern usually, I see pictures and listen to people talk and I try it. If it really excites me after I try a block it usually ends up in a quilt. But this one is fun. good luck.

Rita
Old 03-31-2010, 05:38 AM

I think log cabin would be fun
Old 03-31-2010, 10:09 AM

im leaning more towards the log cabin too :D
thanks and Oklahoma Suzie... I LOVE your signature lol i would die without chocolate and dew lol