Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Could Anyone Do This To A Double Wedding Ring? >

How Could Anyone Do This To A Double Wedding Ring?

How Could Anyone Do This To A Double Wedding Ring?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:40 PM

Your grandmother's quilt was probably hand quilted. While it would be a shame to pick out her stitching, I would remove it, the backing, and the batting. Then, I would use a light weight fusible web and fuse a pre-shrunk piece of muslin (or an old white sheet which, if you don't have one that you would like to use, are available very cheaply at thrift shops) to the top. Iron on the muslin or sheet side with the quilt down.

I would soak it very gently in a bathtub. First use distilled water to wet the rust stains. Oxalic acid will remove rust; however, if you have hard water it may join with the minerals to form precipitates, which is why I suggest distilled water. You can find oxalic acid in commercial products such a Zud Cleaser (pat, don't rub and abrasive product like this!), Bar Keeper's Friend, and some commercial deck cleaners.

Then I would gently wash it in the tub, perhaps adding a bit of stain remover that you know and like. Rinse and, without twisting, gently squeeze out as much water as you can without stressing the fabric. Spread out your biggest towels on the floor and roll the wet quilt top in them, press out more water, and air dry.

This may give you more salvagable pieces. You could requilt them and frame them. A larger piece might make a backdrop behind a bed. Smaller pieces could be framed in a grouping.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

Ohhhh Noooo how heartbreaking :(
Old 04-13-2010, 05:55 PM

The thought of the quilt being destroyed is heart breaking.

Yesterday while searching for ideas for old windows I found these! take a look might be something you could do with areas of the quilt that ARE savable!

http://www.aidenloveszoe.com/images/...loralquilt.jpg
http://www.meganandscott.com/Project...ows_Quilts.htm
http://www.junkmarketstyle.com/item/...-window-frames
Old 04-14-2010, 08:19 AM

She probably used it on the springs because it was already falling apart and she had nothing to loose.
Try and salvadge it by soaking in tub in oxyclean and a mild detergent. It may take several soakings to get the rust out.

I agree about Christmas stockings, cookie cutter ornaments, sachet holders, pincushions, etc. It's ok to cut it up. Quilt police won't come and arrest you.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:00 AM

I used Cream of Tartar to remove rust. Wet area, sprinkle it on thick and cover spot to keep it wet. It took several hours, but the rust came out. I know how you feel about the ruined quilt. I stored two quilts( very old!!) in a metal trunk in my basement , then a couple years later, the basement flooded and while cleaning things, opened the trunk to a black, wet mess. My husband told the cleaners to toss whatever it was, and after it was too late to examine them, it dawned on me that it was my antique quilts. One quilt my great grandmother had made and it was in poor shape, the other was from a country homecoming picnic.. It was embroidered with names that people paid to have added. Family names were in a wheel and spoke pattern, attached to a large wheel and spoke. All the names were written in script, and really small size. Since it was from a town that was founded by my ggg- grandfather, I planned to take it to the county historical museum for display. I had wrapped those quilts in pillowcases so they wouldn't get harmed, and I'm still not sure why they had all the black mold on them, but you can believe I did a lot of crying and beating myself up.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltlin
Yes, it is a tragedy but you can probably save parts of it. Maybe you could make Christmas stockings or even cut parts out of it and frame them. Lots of great ideas that you could use it for and still have the memory.
That is a good idea. Salvage what you can and try not to think about the dolt who put it in there.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

That is so sad. What a waste. Is there any part you can salvage.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:16 AM

What a shame. I hope that never happens to any of the quilts I make.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:01 AM

maybe there is a family Bible that has some or most of those names?
DianneRab

Thank goodness for memories, my grandmother had beautiful quilts but gave them to everyone but me.
Sad.