Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How to cut bias binding?

This is the best place to get info. about EVERYTHING! Love you all! I really need to be SHOWN how to do something...I can't read about it and be able to put it together. I don't know how to cut bias binding....HELP.

There are great videos on you tube also :-)

Banned
    i like to cut as long as possible. I will take the fabric and fold it down to 45 degree. Press and cut and then fold down corner to corner and cut the width I need. Hope this makes sense.

MTS
    Banned
    Here's Sharon Schamber's video:

Part 1 of 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cecclSlmpw8

Blog Entries
    I've never had luck with the "tube" method of making bias binding so I usually do the same as the last posting. I use my ruler markings...line the 45degree line on a straight edge of the fabric then make a 45 degree cut on the fabric. Fold the fabric so those bias edges meet... then continue cuttiing my strips the desired width by lining up the ruler on that edge. I find that it REALLY helps to starch the fabric prior to any cutting.

Hope this makes sense!!!

Thanks for the link. That was very informative.
    Now, got a link for how to miter your binding corners?

Quote Originally Posted by MTS

Part 1 of 4

That is an awesome video! I didn't have any volume, but I was able to follow along without it. I bet she wraps very neat and tidy Christmas presents. :lol:

My first attempt a bias was 30 years ago, and I had the fabric folded as it comes off the bolt. I ended up with all of these huge "V" shapes. After I got done laughing at my mistake, I was able to salvage them, just had more piecing to do.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Part 1 of 4
    That is an awesome video! I didn't have any volume, but I was able to follow along without it. I bet she wraps very neat and tidy Christmas presents. :lol:.
    You do know who she is, right? I figure with her record she knows what she is talking about. ;-)

Do a search in youtube for her other videos - basting, regular binding, squaring/shrinking/stretching blocks, mitering borders and many others.

She's just such a master, and has really broken things down - there is something for the experienced quilter as well as the newbie. Actually, it would save newbies a whole lot of pain if they watch them first before they did anything. ;-)

What strikes me as funny is the mess in her sewing room. You can see it on the video. Most other folks, when they're making a video, have a spotless work surface - almost like an OR. But as you can see in the beginning of the video - to the edges of her workspace - she's got dozens of spools and tools and scraps. It's comforting, in a way. Enabling almost. ;-)

Blog Entries
    I used this video. I had to sew the strips together but they came out perfect!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJlL-...e_gdata_player

Thank you -- These resources & tips on binding are very helpful.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ruck9085
    Thanks for the link. That was very informative.
    Now, got a link for how to miter your binding corners?
    Sure do!
    Sharon also has a series on doing regular binding - it's genius. I probably end up recommending it at least a couple of times a day just on this board: ;-)

Part 1 of 3(?):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE0Yq9iGlc

GENIUS. I've done this on my last 2 quilts (and I thought my binding was pretty good before), but now it's even better. It's a bit more work, but totally worth it.

On the bias !

lol, hehehe !!!!

Just couldn't resist. Just kidding...see all the above comments.
    Pam M

Youtube can be for BFF when it comes to visual help with ALOT of quilting related processes.