Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to design the corners of a "Piano Key" border? >

How to design the corners of a "Piano Key" border?

How to design the corners of a "Piano Key" border?

Old 03-13-2016, 05:25 AM

I like the idea of a smaller log cabin - but without seeing the quilt can't tell if it would be too busy. If you used one constant fabric for the beginning of the log cabins (the little center square), maybe use that fabric for a corner square. Please share when done.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:25 AM

I just finished a quilt with piano key border and put half square triangles in each corner and it looks good
Old 03-13-2016, 07:23 AM

I make the piano key border often and always use a coordinating square in the corner. I tried taking the keys right to the corner, but it is too busy a look for me.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:51 AM

Wow! Thank you all for the wonderful responses and ideas! I've decided that I'm just going with a solid block on this one. The center of the log cabins are tomato red, so I'm using that same, red fabric for each corner. It's quick, easy and it looks really good. I'm definitely keeping everyone's ideas in my mind for my next piano key border that is coming up. I love this border, so I'm planning to use it often.

~ Cindy
Old 03-13-2016, 08:56 AM

Quilt a music note on each corner block, or do a paper pieced music note in each corner.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:49 AM

I usually do like PaperPrincess and have them chase each other
Old 03-14-2016, 04:46 AM

[QUOTE=tapper;7492060]to bdschafer....
I have been buying up 'music' fabric over the past few months but haven't seen any with piano keys. [QUOTE]

Me thinks you don't know what "piano keys" refers to. They are the strips of colored fabric surrounding the quilt, radiating outwards. There are quite a few posts in this thread that show them. I've never seen fabric with just the piano keys in black and white either, but did see a very large piano keyboard in a quilt. That one was built by the quilt-maker.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

I prefer a solid block at the corners. I want the piano key border to be the star.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
When I do a piano key, I have the borders 'chase' each other. Sort of log cabin style. Here's some instructions and a very rough sketch
1) add the border to right side. Make it even with the top, have extra piano keys, the width of your border. Leave an inch or two unsewn to the quilt at the bottom.
2) Add the top border, start even with the left side and end it even with the edge of the border on the right
3) add left border
4) add the bottom
5) now sew the little bit of the first border to the lower right edge of the quilt and the edge of the bottom border.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544603[/ATTACH]
Here's an example of a quilt with this piano key method (it's the second quilt, the star)
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t261037.html
That's beautiful way of doing the corners!
Old 03-14-2016, 08:01 AM

[QUOTE=maviskw;7493707][QUOTE=tapper;7492060]to bdschafer....
I have been buying up 'music' fabric over the past few months but haven't seen any with piano keys.

Me thinks you don't know what "piano keys" refers to. They are the strips of colored fabric surrounding the quilt, radiating outwards. There are quite a few posts in this thread that show them. I've never seen fabric with just the piano keys in black and white either, but did see a very large piano keyboard in a quilt. That one was built by the quilt-maker.
I did know that but was thinking that maybe you could buy fabric that looked like piano keys. The fabric used in the free pattern is keyboard fabric. http://www.windhamfabrics.com/cgi-bi...?patternID=484