Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How do I add a curved flying geese to a strip pieced top?

How do I add a curved flying geese to a strip pieced top?

I am making a jelly roll strip pieced quilt top and want to add a curving row of flying geese. However, I'm not sure how to go about it. All suggestions will be most welcomed.
    Patquiltz

Blog Entries
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Where do you want to add the flying geese? As the border? I saw a tutorial on youtube a couple of days ago that showed 1-seam flying geese where you fold back the edges like a cathedral window to make them curved. Is that what you're looking for?
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

After I finish piecing the top, I want to add a curving row of flying geese to it in another color but I don't know if I will have to paperpiece the FG and then applique the curve onto the top of if I can cut the top and inset it.
    Patquiltz.

I think it would be possible to cut the top and inset the flying geese, but I think it would be easier (for me anyway) to applique them onto the top. What you're describing sounds like it will be beautiful.

Gail Garber does some fantastic curved flying geese patterns, here is her blog, maybe check out her patterns as well. http://gailgarber.com/quilting-blog/

Thanks so much for the link. I spent nearly an hour just drooling over those fabulous quilts!! I ordered both of her books, the compas and the flexable bar. Can't wait to get my order and start art quilting again ... this time it will be WAYYYY OUTSIDE MY BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Patquiltz

Blog Entries
    finally found this too on Bryerpatch site
    http://www.bryerpatch.com/pattern/pattern.htm
    a free circle of flying geese
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman