Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I adjust instructions >

How do I adjust instructions

How do I adjust instructions

Old 01-08-2012, 08:13 AM

Smile How do I adjust instructions

I made a 12 x 12 wall hanging and when I tried to use the ruler that helps you bind a quilt, the measurements were way to big. It was made for a large size quilt. Does any one know how to adjust the instructions so I can use it for the 12 x 12 blocks I plan on making? I love using the ruler and have watched videos from Missouri quilt on how to correctly use it. but.....no directions for a small project.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:39 AM

If you go to www.victorianaquiltdesigns.com, scroll down to techniques. You can request many different charts to allow you to change measurements for patterns, binding, borders and other things. They have a wealth of information!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Banned

need to know the size of your wallhanging. Is it 12"x12" or made up of 12" blocks.
Which binding tool are you working with. I went to Missouri Star and couldn't find the tutorial.
What exactly are you trying to adjust. Need more specific information.

I went to the victorian site and so much info there. Can you be more specific as the section.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:31 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

First, calculate the total length of binding you need: (length+width) times two. Add about 12" (or more) to miter the corners and join the ends. If your wall hanging is 12" square, you would need (12+12)x2 12= 60 inches of binding. Now you calculate how big the square will be to cut the binding. If you are using 2 1/2" double fold binding, that is 180 square inches of binding. You need to start with a square 14 inches on each side; or 15 to feel safe. Iron in the diagonal. Place your ruler centered on the fold and start the first cut, then continue cutting.

Or do what I would do--cut five 2 1/2 crosswise strips from a full width of fabric, join the ends with a diagonal seam, and use straight binding. You will use less fabric and it's way easier.