Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I downsize my stash?

Blog Entries
    Fill some zip lock bags with a selection......either one color choice or mixed colors.....calculate cost of shipping and sell it on this site......Just a suggestion

harrish, You say you can't ship out, but if you use the flat rate boxes, print the labels and pay for postage on USPS.com and request pickup at your house that may be a possible way to go. You can go to USPS.com, set up an account, have boxes or padded envelopes sent right to you. The only thing else you would need is a charge or debit card to pay for it. I do this all the time and it is great. Usually I drop stuff off at the post office because I am going that way anyways.

Just something to think about if you want to offer stuff here or on other forums. Just make sure you state if you want extra for the postage or if it is included in the price.

Good luck!

Seems to me the easiest way would be to use flat rate boxes from USPS, stuff a box w/co-ordinated fabrics & post it here onQB. USPS delivers flat rate envelopes & boxes & will pick up for shipping.

I'm wondering why you canot ship out. When using the USPS Priority Flat Rate Mailers or Boxes, you can print the shipping labels on USPS.com & schedule for mailman to pick up at your door.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandish View Post
    Oh my, THAT'S a stash. lol. I can't tell you the best way to get rid of it - Craigs list might be a start, and a yard sale. Or, I might move to Iowa and relieve you of your burden. (JK) I'm sure folks will be along shortly with some great ideas.
    We would love to have you in IOWA. Come on over!!!!
    Mary

Banned
    Blog Entries
    for a stash that large, you need to pack lg. flat rate boxes with color ways, (like all pinks) and sell for an average price per yard + postage with tracking and insurance! and stick to your price! NO haggle pricing like car max! selling here will take you years and you will probably lose more than you want to! Craigs list is really good! and NO shipping!

Holy wow! I don't think even my basement is large enough to house that stash, hey I'm trying to build a stash how about trying to sell some of it on here if your wanting to sell the fabric. I was on here buying fabric again today, thank God hubby is going to be on the road for a week I can shop and squirrel it away without him knowing lol

A lady in our area---before I was a quilter--rented a hall like the Lions Club on a Saturday. She contacted all the guilds within about a 75 mile radius. Ladies from the guilds came and helped in return for some free fabric. Last 2 hours was a buck a yard and just about all of it was sold. Anything left went to the local thrift store. One day and the problem was gone.

I'm thinking you could open your own quilt shop...lol! Just kidding. I'm not sure how I would go about downsizing if you can't ship it out. I would think Craig's List would be better than a yard sale though. Good luck with it.
    --------------
    "Happiness isn't having what you want, it is wanting what you have."

www.thewanderlustgirl.blogspot.com

re: downsizing my stash!

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions-----I don't know anything about flat rate ( I have seen the advertisements on TV) and that does sound like a possibility. This is the greatest bunch of people---always willing to help!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    You sure have A LOT of stash... Ill for one will be on the look out for your 'sale' ....

Blog Entries
    I would put an ad in the local newspaper for a fabrics sale. I went to one recently and it was wonderful. All fabrics were LQS quality and sold for $4/yd. ex: 3yd/$12, 5 yd/$20. She sold all pieces whole, no cutting. FQ's were $1/ea. Some special fabrics were given special prices. She didn't get rich and we didn't go home poor. Good luck to you.
    Every Sunrise brings a blessing

Please be careful with craigslist.....lots of creepy people, and do you want them in your house?

Bag the stash....different colors for variety, and take it to your local guilt guild, church or nursing home...even some schools might use it. If you really want to make a few bucks, have a fabric yard sale this Spring.

Keep sewing - I'm driving to MN this spring (I hope!) - maybe I'll detour! Good luck!

My guild will be doing a "National Quilting Day" event on March 10. We need red, white (prints on white, cream, ecru, etc., that read as white) and blue. We would buy three pieces, up to 3 yards each, of each color of fabric. I'm assuming that your fabric is good quality. Also we'll need 4 yd. pieces for backs. We're doing 'lap size or larger' quilts for service men/women of our county returning from deployment overseas.
    PM me with details of what you have in these colors. Any "military prints?"
    We're willing to pay $3.50 per yard shipped. I know this is low, but I'm going on faith that the fabric is good.
    johans, Michigan's UP, Hiawatha National Forest West

Blog Entries
    There are some great ideas here. But some important questions are...How long has the fabric been on the shelves with that fluorescent light shining on it? Are you a smoker? Are there pets? Is the fabric faded at the folds? These are things I would want to know. I have quite a large stash too, but mine is behind closed doors or in metal file drawers.

You can get about 5-6 yards of fabric in a $5.00 one rate envelope. This is a reasonable way to mail fabric. If people here pm you and agree to pay in advance a fair price per yard plus shipping fee I think that would be a way to solve your problem and also to help others who would like to increase their stash.

Just a thought, not written in stone.

Longarm

And I thought I had a decent stash. You put me to shame. Why not contact local quilt quilds and ask to put an adversment in their newsletter.
    clsurz

Happily buried in a heap of fabric in Indiana!
    If you decide to have people pay you for the shipping, don't use Paypal. They are now holding any money that you get through paypal for 21 days before you can get it.
    Sew, sew, it's the threads that keep love together :>} I love sunbonnet sue,old-fashioned things like 1950's or older housewife things, and like hankies,tea towels and aprons . Thanks to some lovely members on here I now have lots of aprons in my collection !!

Wow! I don't have more than one shelf units worth and I think mine is bad.
    You need to do more quilting.
    I agree with the person who said to bundle it and sell it on here. If you deal with paypal it is easy and you can use the post office envelopes and boxes.

Blog Entries
    I have been noticing more and more fabric and fat qtrs for sale at consignment and antique stores. I have bought some in the past..even bought some applique blocks. I would do that before craigs list. I for one do not want strangers coming to my house and have no desire to sit in a parking lot somewhere waiting for someone to show up. The prices for fat qtrs are the same as the LQS but...fabrics that you can no longer buy. Love it...good luck.

Contact your local 4-H clubs. The kids are certainly trustworthy people to come look at your stash, and their parents would welcome good prices on fabric. the quilt work 4-H do inspires me. I love seeing people carrying on old traditions.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    wow! it would take a LOT of pictures to even show it here on the board to show each pc, it's number and price. so I have to agree the bulk would sell faster if you go thru a guild and maybe some to the board and maybe a consignment shop and friends. I have 4 rubbermaid tubs now and was feeling guilty! haha good luck to you.
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

OH My!!! And I thought I had a lot. I would ask your guild to have a sell.This is where everyone sits up tables and sell their wares. Mine has one every July. Don't do a yard sale. I did this didn't get out even half of what I paid for fabric.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewellie View Post
    The problem with Craig's list is - do you want a stranger coming into your house to look at the stash?? What else are they going to scope out.
    I have had great success selling on Craig's List. I used to be a cop, and I am all about safety, but I find my buyers through my quilt guild and others in the area. Generally speaking they are "safe" - or have your husband home and have people come in the evening. Set all the fabric up in a front room, closest to the door. Have the fabric pre-measured and pinned on. Buyers are going to want to know how much fabric is in a "piece."

If you have a "sale" - you could have it when it is warmer and have in your Garage. People are going to want to closely look at the fabric before buying. If you send out some e-mails to the local quilt guild newsletter people or guild president's (do a Google search on the guild name - easy to find info). I ran mine this way on 2 Saturdays in early May. Sold. $3,000.00 worth of stuff. Plus, you can promote your longarm business (If that is what I see in the photo) Good luck

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast