Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I downsize my stash? >

How do I downsize my stash?

How do I downsize my stash?

Old 02-25-2012, 06:26 AM

I live in Iowa and will drive over!
Old 02-25-2012, 06:38 AM

I agree, I would not have strangers coming to your house. My husband never would let me have a yard sale for that reason.
Originally Posted by sewellie View Post
The problem with Craig's list is - do you want a stranger coming into your house to look at the stash?? What else are they going to scope out.
The problem with a yard sale is that everyone sorts through things and then leaves them in a mess. You'll be folding and refolding yourself until you're exhausted. Then they won't want to give you the price you want, they'll want to bargain. I'm not sure what the answer is, but that's just my opinion on those two options. Maybe sell them on this board. Just bundle them in some sort of arrangement, number them and put a price on them plus postage. It's worth a try. It will take time, but then - maybe not. Just my suggestion. I wish I had the money to help you with some of it. I'm fairly new at quilting and do not have much of a stash yet. Would be awesome to be able to purchase some of it.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:53 AM

How about checking with any local Quilt Guilds? Perhaps you could sell it at meetups? Better than Craigslist, as someone said, do you want strangers coming to your house?
Old 02-25-2012, 06:53 AM

I just went to a garage sale that was posted in the local paper. Ad started out "Quilters Dream"
They had tables set up in the garage with fabric. books etc. Because of the wording of ad only quilters
came. When asked about the price the answer was what ever we felt comfortable paying. They wanted
it to be fun and it was. Sure wished I lived in Iowa. Good luck
Old 02-25-2012, 06:58 AM

What a wonderful stash! We all wish to have such a stash. Give me directions and I'll drive up next week. LOL
I would think selling it in lot colors would be the best, all reds, or all greens, maybe lots of 5 yards.
No matter where you sell it, you are going to have to pkg it up and get it to the post office.
5 yards fits in one of those small flat boxes, if it fits it ships. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:00 AM

Flat rate shipping would be the way to go and like others have said the post office would pick it up at the house. Guilds are another way if you know someone who is a member as usually they wont let an outsider in but soesnt hurt to ask.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:03 AM

Having been a vendor at a quilt show, I can tell you that some shows allow only a % of your goods to be below market value in order to protect the other vendors who are selling at retail (or close to it). I think contacting quilt guilds within a reasonable distance and asking if you could have a sale would be the best way to go. You could "grease their palms" by
offering them 10% of your sales, or fabric that doesn't sell, to aid in charitable work that they might participate in. Good Luck!
Old 02-25-2012, 07:03 AM

no long ago there was an article about a prison that inmates were on a waiting list to make quilts for charity. Maybe you could google this and see if they would be interested in purchasing or if tax exempt give you a receipt for your taxes to write off the donation. A local church, nursing home, quilting group may also be interested. I haved given a lot of my stash to local churches for them to raise money because I know I will never be able to use all before I get called to the other world. Good Luck
Old 02-25-2012, 07:22 AM

Do you do any piecing or just buying??????Just kidding.......I should talk, but you beat me hands down!!!!!
A few years ago, a prolific quilter in the next town passed and two friends organized a quilter's garage sale. The fabric was sold by the lb., unfortunately I don't remember the price per......but it was easier for the organizers to do it that way than try to price each piece/bundle...she had probably more than you do.........So we all just grbbed andf they put it on a scale.....it was not a bathroom one, sort of the kind that you see at the stores, or the old fashioned baby scale....nevertheless, it worked and they were wiped out in no time.........and I still have some of it I bought at the time.........
Old 02-25-2012, 08:00 AM

Looking at your stash made me feel so good. My stash is in boxes and every time I think about sorting it out it makes me tired and I leave it for another day.