Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I dry batting after pre-shrinking? >

How do I dry batting after pre-shrinking?

How do I dry batting after pre-shrinking?

Old 10-17-2012, 10:50 AM

If you are worried that it will scrunch up when the giftee washes it for the first time, after finsihing the quilt, wash it yourself. It will scrunch as much as it's going to.

I always wash every quilt when I am finished and before I give it away.

If you want no crinkle then follow the advice of the fine ladies here. (And still wash it before giving away!)
Old 10-17-2012, 11:05 AM

Thank you all so much for the advice I will try a smaller peice to begin with and see how it works out. I knew I could get great help from everyone, I will let you know how it all works out.

This is batting I bought about 15 years ago and have just kept moving it around my sewing room and lost the instructions in the process all I could remember of the directions was to put it in a bath tub with a sheet under it to suport it. I have bought a pre cut about 2 years ago and it was pre-shrunk. I really need to use what I have in this economy LOL Again Thanks to all for your help
Old 10-17-2012, 11:49 AM

I'd cut it down to the sizes you normally use. 15 yards of anything is a lot of fabric for a washer or dryer. And warm and natural is wide too.
I always rinsed my warm and natural and then dried in the dryer, makes it lovely to hand quilt.
Not sure I'd do it for machine quilting at my level, might need that shrinkage to cover booboos~
Old 10-17-2012, 12:15 PM

I cut the W&N to about 10" larger each way than I need it when I am ready for it and then I shrink it. I have a front loader and I just use the water temp the finished quilt will be washed at and run it through the rinse cycle. I then dry it in the dryer, fluffing it frequently. It always comes out nice and I don't have the extra shrinking (as long as everyone follows the directions for washing.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:21 PM

I have washed Warm and Natural a few times. I have nothing to offer in addition to the other posts, except to warn you that when wet, it is very heavy.

You can also get information from the Warm Company's website (warmcompany.com). They will warn against agitation and excessive spinning for that product. My washer is over 30 years old, and its spin cycle is not a powerful one.

Dayle
Old 10-17-2012, 12:56 PM

I always preshrink just like Lori S. here but I even put it in my front loader sometimes and put it on the "presoak" cycle so it just flips it once in a while. Othertimes I soak it in my laundry tub, drain and spin it out but it always goes into the dryer so however it will get washed and dried after it is into the quilt, it will be fine. I've been doing it for many years and it hasn't ever balled up or came apart. do follow her advice on re-positioning it ever little while.
Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I preshrink mine ( warm and natural) all the time ... toss it in the dryer.. after you spin out the excess water! It one of the reason I buy Warm and Natural as it does hold up to the dryer. Do stop the dryer periodically and reposition... about every 8 -10 minutes.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

You can soak it in the washing machine until it is saturated and then spin out the water, but do NOT allow the machine to agitate the batting! Machine agitation is really hard on a batting. While Warm and Natural might survive it, a lot of battings will not. The only agitation you would do is to press down with your hands. So add water, stop the machine, allow to soak, then advance the control knob to spin cycle. It's okay to dry in the dryer after excess water has been spun out.

Edit: Oh, and you mentioned 10 yards of batting. I would cut it down to quilt-size pieces and do them individually. I wouldn't try to do 10 yards at one time!

Oh, and I should add that Warm and Natural is needlepunched through scrim. That makes it very sturdy and is one reason why it won't fall apart if you pre-wash it. Some battings cannot be submerged in water at all because they will fall apart.

Last edited by Prism99; 10-17-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:47 PM

I would like to echo Prism99's reply and add that I have washed W&N batting in a front loader on the "hand washables" setting, spun and then dried on a lower setting and had no problems. If you are set on washing all 10 yards at a time, then maybe consider going to a laundromat which has larger front loading washers which will accommodate larger loads such as comforters and bedspreads. Let us all know how things go!

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
You can soak it in the washing machine until it is saturated and then spin out the water, but do NOT allow the machine to agitate the batting! Machine agitation is really hard on a batting. While Warm and Natural might survive it, a lot of battings will not. The only agitation you would do is to press down with your hands. So add water, stop the machine, allow to soak, then advance the control knob to spin cycle. It's okay to dry in the dryer after excess water has been spun out.

Edit: Oh, and you mentioned 10 yards of batting. I would cut it down to quilt-size pieces and do them individually. I wouldn't try to do 10 yards at one time!

Oh, and I should add that Warm and Natural is needlepunched through scrim. That makes it very sturdy and is one reason why it won't fall apart if you pre-wash it. Some battings cannot be submerged in water at all because they will fall apart.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:13 PM

I have put W & N in the dryer with no problem, got it off of a bolt at joanns they cut is, and it was filthy so in to the wash it went on gentle, in the dryer, and came out like new
Old 10-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Power Poster

I would only wash a 'quilt-size' piece of warm and natural batting at a time. (I somehow got the idea you were considering washing all ten yards of it at one time. If so, only in a very large laundromat washer and dryer)

I wash it on gentle on a short cycle in hot water - spin as dry as possible - dry it on gentle with a perma-press setting.

Turns out wonderfully well. I've even washed one piece twice - didn't fall apart at all.

(I did wash a couple of battings that I thought would handle washing that totally disintegrated. Ugh! But Warm and Natural does handle washing well. I prefer the flat look.)