Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I get out of this rut? >

How do I get out of this rut?

How do I get out of this rut?

Old 07-30-2010, 07:12 AM

I got out of my rut by attending some quilt shows ... the use of colors in some of the quilts .. really gave me the push I needed.
Everythime I woould leave a show, feeling like an hack quilter, I realized it was my own restriction on color that was keeping me from having the "look" of some of the show pieces.
Sometimes now when I am selecting fabrics , I have to think about it as I am selecting for my "other personality" that way I can mentally free my self. That "other" quilter in me seems to do pretty well.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:16 AM

I've found trying new things - patterns or colors - can be really fun and much easier to do when you're just trying it out. I mean, I'm a new quilter so I had never done any thing with triangles, etc. So in between working on my rail fence quilt, I've been doing one block every day or every other day - a block with triangles, or that I think will challenge me in some way. I use random pieces of fabric that I have no plans for and I realize it's okay to mess up.

And it's been such a fun experience! I definitely recommend looking up a block on quilter's cache or something and just doing ONE block with the colors/patterns you're not comfortable using.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:31 AM

I used to be the same way with batiks!
thought they were way to "modern" looking
as most of my patterns are the classics
but once I made my first quilt with them I am hooked!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:34 AM

Nothing wrong with doing what you like/what works for you. I think all quilters have colors,patterns etc they'd just as leave not use.I don't use much white,pink or purple.On the other hand, dark red now seems like an easy color to use.Most of my quilts are scrappy,but I like a controlled color way.It'd be a boring world if we all liked the same things.

I recently saw a quilt that won 1st place in a judged show.All quilts take
time & lots of work, but didn't care for that quilt at all.Remember, there are no rules.

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
It seems I can only use tone-on-tone fabrics. The mere mention of a "feature fabric" freaks me out. I'm most comfortable with monotone or totally-mixed scrap quilts. I'm pretty good at matching colors and choosing from the color wheel, etc. so I don't think it's that. But I rarely use white or ANY really light color because I think it stand out too much. Is it a "rut" or a "style"? I love autumn colors (or brights, as you can see by my avatar), but always tone-on-tone; large prints make me nervous. HELP!
Old 07-30-2010, 08:08 AM

Go to the fabric store and allow yourself to only purchase one print. This has to be the most beautiful fabric you have ever seen. Then bring it home and create a quilt using the tone on tone prints you have at home to support the focal print. That way you get the best of both worlds. It will be a fun challenge!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:24 AM

The thing that really pushed me out of my comfort zone was working on a round robin with 5 other quilters. There were tops I had to add borders to using fabrics and colors and patterns that I would never ever use. I found it challenging and finally expanding because now I am not "afraid" to work with any color or design.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:24 PM

I think it's only a problem if it bothers you! If you want to branch out, maybe buy something new and make a small project with it...and see how you like it! I