Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I keep my ruler from slipping? >

How do I keep my ruler from slipping?

How do I keep my ruler from slipping?

Old 12-31-2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by MerryQuilter
Try Quilters Rule rulers they have a non slip bottom have loved using them for years.
I use Quilters Rule and it almost never slips. I had one for about 15 years, made about 30 large quilts with it. Dropped it many times and it never broke. Decided to buy another one because the markings were getting hard to see (senior citizen.) I ordered one from Overstocks.com and got free shipping. Best price that I could find. None of my LQS stocks it. It is 6.5 X 24". I have several other "non-slip" rulers, but I always use this one. I told my DH the other day that the two quilt tools that I can't live without are my Quilter's Rule and my June Taylor Shape Cut Plus.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:24 AM

Many of you have mentioned using the Invisigrip. I tried it and it made no difference at all. My rulers still slipped. What was I doing wrong. I'm considering using some Zots (from my scrapbooking supplies) and tapping my finger on them to take away a lot of the stickiness first.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:26 AM

Me again, I do have a Lipfa ruler with the lip at the bottom that grips the edge of my cutting mat. I really like that but it can still slip ocassionally.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:30 AM

YES WHERE DO YOU GET THE GRIP STUFF.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:32 AM

I like rubber cement.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:35 AM

I love the little sandpaper dots too. I put 6 on my larger rulers....then I don't have to hold it so tight. And remember to replace those dots now and then.....they wear smooth.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:35 AM

I love the little sandpaper dots too. I put 6 on my larger rulers....then I don't have to hold it so tight. And remember to replace those dots now and then.....they wear smooth.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:41 AM

I have the same problem and have the small round felt cabinet type circles on mine. They help, but I think I'm just still awkward with it. I tend to push too hard with the hand that holds the ruler down and cause the ruler to move. - Cynthia
Old 12-31-2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Aside from putting grips on the bottom of the ruler, it's standard to keep half your hand off the ruler. This steadies the ruler because your hand is not likely to slip against the fabric.
I've found this to be very helpful in cutting accurately, too. I have invisagrip on my rulers, I have at least my little finger off on the left side, and I move my hand up as I cut. I get way less sliding with this.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:31 AM

I have to agree with Alice Q, I used the Invisagrip on one of my new rulers and it didn't help at all. It looked to me like the really thin clear plastic you used to be able to get cut from a roll at the Walmart fabric dept. The reusable wonder tape (or whatever it's called) is the same stuff I think? I've been happy with my sandpaper dots for years though sometimes they get in the way because you can't see through them (you can make your own cheaply with regular sandpaper and double-sided tape). I've heard a lot of talk lately about putting clear nail polish on rulers, sprinkling salt on them and letting them dry. I will have to try that. I also put my pinky on the fabric right next to the ruler to keep it from moving.