Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I piece this medallion? >

How do I piece this medallion?

How do I piece this medallion?

Old 08-24-2014, 08:20 PM

Exclamation How do I piece this medallion?

I am going to make a quilt for an old friend. We did a lot of sailing, so it will have a nautical theme. I have attached what I have designed for a medallion in the center of the quilt. Now I can't figure out how to put it together, how to group the pieces into segments, what order, partial seams, set in seam? I do know how to do each of the individual little sailboat blocks. And the center part will be appliqued. Can anyone help me figure this out? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails nautical-medallion-small.jpg  
Old 08-24-2014, 08:54 PM

It will be a stunning quilt!!!
Old 08-24-2014, 09:53 PM

I certainly don't have the expertise to help you but it will be a beautiful quilt! Please keep us posted on your progress!
Old 08-24-2014, 10:43 PM

I'd paper piece the small flags on the borders. The rest will have to be appliqued, probably raw edge applique. I think I would start with the center and work my way out, in the order in which it appears to be layered.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:23 PM

One stitch at a time around the outline of the Yaht and sails.i would also do the reflection. I would either use invisible thread or match up colour with picture. I would go slow and possible because I enjoy hand stitch as it would be easier to manage the stitching. No long lengths to uNdo.

Enjoy it will be stunning.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:15 AM

I would begin with the sky, and applique the sun/moon onto it. Then add the sea along the bottom. Then applique the boat, shadow and palm trees.
It's a beautiful design!
Old 08-25-2014, 03:09 AM

Unbelievably stunning already. A nautical delight!!!!
Old 08-25-2014, 03:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
I'd paper piece the small flags on the borders. The rest will have to be appliqued, probably raw edge applique. I think I would start with the center and work my way out, in the order in which it appears to be layered.
I agree, I would paper piece the small flags. and start with the applique in the middle. You have got to take things slow and be so accurate with your cutting and seams otherwise the quilt will be wonky. Good Luck !!
Old 08-25-2014, 05:07 AM

Nice design! I feel your pain...I'm forever designing things with no idea how I'm going to actually construct them. That's part of the great adventure for me.

For yours, I'd definitely go with partial seams for the small boat elements and use a braid-like sequence of adding straight segments. I'd have the corner anchor attached to the shorter boat section to give me more flexibilty (longer piece) going around the triangles. The blue triangle bases can be sewn to the 'under' units in advance if you're sure of your measurements or 'as approached' if you're not quite as sure. Either way has a bit of a risk for distortion but is easily fixable if caught before moving on. To add the dark blue borders that square the whole thing off, set in (Y) seams would probably be the best option.

I hope that sparks some ideas for you. When faced with pieces like this, I've learned that it takes less time in the long run if I hand baste each section first to make sure it's going to fit/look right. It's much easier to take out basting than machine stitching and there's less stress to the fabric. Good luck to you!

ETA: Another option would be to just make two full squares of the small boats, slit one at an 'under' point, weave them together as one unit, and then stitch the whole thing with inset seams onto the octagon of your central piece. You'd have a double layer of fabric at each crossing point, but it is an option.

OR...do that and then trim out the overlaps so it's just one layer...hmmm. I can't seem to stop........

Last edited by ghostrider; 08-25-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:40 AM

I would do fusible applique, then hand stitch using embroidery floss and a buttonhole stitch, for your center. Good luck, its going to be beautiful!!