Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How Do I Quilt my First Quilt? (Photo attached, too!)

Love your fabrics and you did a great job. All the suggetions here are great!

What a wonderful choice of fabrics! I happened to see a show on The Quilt Show featuring Edyta Sitar and she gave what I think is a great tip. She uses Aurofil number 2370 and 2310 50 wt. for quilting all her tops. She says it blends with her choices of pattern and color. Your wall hanging has a similar color emphasis and this thread color may answer your question about what thread to quilt with.
    Last edited by leighway; 09-27-2012 at 06:10 AM.

Lovely quilt! I'd do a SITD and use a dark beige/dark gold thread as it appears the print on the yellow and parts of the main print have those colors. I'd carry that stitching down through the yellow/gold area as though it were a nine patch, too, to keep it simple. I'd carry that stitching through the borders too. It's a beautiful quilt. Practice some various stitches on a baby quilt or maybe use a little free motion practice on various blocks of a baby quilt. Different textures are fascinating for babies anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Crqltr View Post
    I would most likely stitch in the ditch and a simple heart or something similar in the lighter fabric. The fabrics you chose are beautiful!
    ...or, since these are fall colors, perhaps you could do an leaf outline in the lighter squares. You could draw a template from a real oak leaf, or maybe your machine does something like that.

Beautiful quilt, by the way!

Your wall hanging is beautiful and you did a terrific job! I also like the idea of SITD, carrying the lines through the yellowish blocks. Trying to imagine thread color . . . I keep seeing a dark gold.

Please share a picture of it, when it's finished. It's gonna be gorgeous!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I love the fabric and colors. Be sure to post the finished quilt.

Banned
    you say that you have a "machine with some snazzy stitches" Are these regular embroidery stitches or designs that you would quilt with the embroidery module or larger motifs? You don't indicate which of these or whether you just want to use a decorative stitch to somewhat straight line quilt. This informatiokn would be helpful.
    So in relaity, not all the pertinent information is here.

I am a beginning quilter and would love to see a picture of the finished quilt as I have trouble imagining the different results. Your quilt is very nice.
    Mary Ann

I would do simple squares in dark green thread. Just stitch all the way down vertically, then turn and do the same thing horizontally. Your quilt is gorgeous, btw. Wonderful fabric choices!

Lovely ! No one ever comments that although many machines have the fancy stitches you are not able to use many of them for quilting. ---WHY ? ----because if you need to use the walking foot you can not do all these stitches
    when the walking foot is being used with backing and batting. Ask me how I know ? I tried to experiment but
    think many times the Stitch in the Ditch works very well if you don't want to do free motion stippling.

Blog Entries
    I would do all over design . Love you quilt.

Blog Entries
    I think a verigated tan, brown thread with diagonal lines would look awesome

I just did a diagonal using blue painters tape as a guide. Very easy. Then a simple motive in the yellow squares. Maybe use a multicolored thread in the same colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Patti25314 View Post
    I would probably do a stitch in the ditch on the nine patches and continue those lines down and across so that the solid yellow blocks look like 9 patches also.
    I was going to suggest this method. I just finished a large 9-patch on point & 2 bed runners not on point. Quilted one bed runner in the ditch & just continued the stitching right through the solid square. The colored thread makes it stand out on mine.

Blog Entries
    BEauty - Since this is your first and you may not be familiar with the Stitch in the Ditch - which is stitching right in the seam line of your two pieces - on the right side of the fabric. I might suggest practice on some scrap fabric sew some pieces together and try your hand at stitch in the ditch, also with your different stitches on the machine, find one you like and use that for your stitch in the ditch, one that will cross the seam line on both sides, that way rather than just stitch in the ditch, you won't be ripping out stitches, if you have problems staying in the seam line or (ditch) with your stitching. I don't have much of a problem with the SID, but I also like to add a little flair, so I often use one of my decorative stitches on my machine. This also looks good on the back. I too like the idea of varigated thread. That would really look nice. Be sure to post pic. when you are finished, and welcome to the wonderful world of quilting. Now you are hooked, so have fun.

Ditto!!!!for me too

Hi Deb.....make sure you use your walking foot to quilt......I just finished my first quilt also and the quilting part was the hardest for me ....but now that I have it done Iam quite proud of it......I was going to do the stitch in the ditch but I chose a swirly design because the stitch in the ditch was not a good choice for me....I figured if I went out of the ditch then it would be noticed so the swirly design worked for me.....it kinda looks like a snake Iam sure most machines have that stitch.....so good luck and remember to just take your time...and do a practice peice before doing your quilt....god bless....Trish

Lovely first quilt. I think I would quilt across the blocks using diagonal lines.

Very nice quilt for your first one!!! As a novice quilter, probably keep the quilting simple on this one. Stitch in the ditch is good, quilting with diagonal lines works well. You can use masking tape to mark lines. Place the tape, quilt along the edge of tape, then peel tape away. You can re-use the tape as long as you don't sew into it. You can also use decorative stitches on your machine. There are no rules. Just have fun!

Blog Entries
    I love your color scheme in the batiks... hopefully you will post the final product in whatever you decided.

Blog Entries
    very nice! isn't it a great feeling to have come so far!! i would do stitch in the ditch. if you have an embroidery function i would do a leaf or some such in the large squares. you've done very well ! please show us when you are done!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2