Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I quilt this unusual quilt? >

How do I quilt this unusual quilt?

How do I quilt this unusual quilt?

Old 08-17-2009, 11:16 AM

Congrats on your quilt top. It is such a fun design and so colorful I would continue with the play. Counter to popular opionion, I think you should use contrasting thread except for the sky area. I can't see the picture now, but I think I remember the yellow strip had blue figures or prerhaps blue was the strip color above it, I would bring the blue color onto the yellow strip. Then maybe it had red with yellow etc. I would repeat this theme, it will provide a unifiying effect. I think you should do a wavy line that echos the appliques as you go across. Keep the lines variable in space between them, some 1" or more apart and some 1/2" or closer. The sky area could be done differently. I would match the background in the sky area unless you want to ech around the stars about an inch from the stars and righ along the edge of the stars. I would continue with the wavy line in black which will give nice texture. The closer together the lines are the more ripply it will look and the stars will pop out.[img]
Old 08-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

That is so cute. I would use matching thread and not quilt through the appliques.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by MNQuilter
I've never machine quilted so I don't know if this would work or not, but I thought it would look great with echo quilting around the appliques and the wavy lines up to the echo quilting. I bet varigated thread with red and black would be striking on it. It's a beautiful quilt.
I like this idea. What a cute quilt!
Old 08-18-2009, 07:27 AM

First, I would quilt in the ditch around each of the applique pieces. Depending on the size of the applique pieces, I might do some echo quilting within the applique using 1/4" to 1/2" intervals, again depending on the size of the applique pieces. This would look especially nice in the star pieces. Then I would just do some wavy patterns or flattened cloud patterns in the remaining background of the quilt, avoiding the applique pieces. I would not worry about quilting around the letters on the back of the quilt. Just forget they are even there and quilt away. Depending on the look you are going for and your confidence level, you could choose contrasting, matching or invisible thread. If your confidence level is high and you want the quilting to stand out, use a contrasting thread color. Otherwise, use a matching or invisible thread.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:26 PM

I don't like the look of the applique not quilted....I've tried it and it seems to puff out from the rest of the quilt. One thing I have tried is wavy lines thru the whole thing to anchor. It works qu
Old 08-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

Chay, if you have some Glad Press n Seal, you could do a design on it, with colored markers, and then slide that on the top of quilt, to get an idea of what your stitches might look like. I personally would not go through the appliques, and I wouldn't use any invisible thread on a baby quilt, just mho. :wink: