Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I tame the Fuzzies? >

How do I tame the Fuzzies?

How do I tame the Fuzzies?

Old 11-03-2015, 09:07 AM

Default How do I tame the Fuzzies?

I am working on a Christmas tree skirt...I have machine appliqued the top, spray basted it to Warm and White batting, and I have machine quilted just these 2 layers by crosshatching. I am going to do some hand embroidery, beading, etc to embellish the top before I add the backing ( so all of the stitching will be hidden). I need to add a backing of some sort now though-the Fuzzies are driving me, and my machine, crazy! Suggestions? Maybe just a very thin muslin, or some sort of fusible interfacing?
Thank you!
Old 11-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

If you just want to keep the batt out of the feed dogs, perhaps tissue paper or tulle would work? If not a thin fabric would work also.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:18 AM

When I would "birth" a quilt, I liked to sew the batting down around the edge before turning it right die out. I used wax paper to keep the batting down so I could sew over it. The wax paper was cheap, my presser foot didn't stick to it, so all was good.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

Maybe you could fuse a lightweight interfacing to the batting? I would try it on a scrap to see what happens before trying to fuse it on the tree skirt.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:17 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Is your batting polyester?
If it is, you can't really use fusible interfacing/stabilizer because the batting won't take the ironing heat.
If it isn't, you might try this from joannes. I have done virtually a whole quilt using something like this because the fabrics were "sleazy" (not all were cottons), and it was fine.

http://www.joann.com/pellon-fusible-...g/4460119.html

Jan in VA
Old 11-03-2015, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If you just want to keep the batt out of the feed dogs, perhaps tissue paper or tulle would work? If not a thin fabric would work also.
I have found that cheap gift tissue actually tears away easier than some of the more expensive products sold for machine embroidery use! Give it a try! Tulle probably would still let batting fuzz through.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:45 PM

Thanks everyone....the batting isn't getting caught in the feed dogs....its just making lots of lint...I think I will try some lightweight fusible interfacing....I don't want this skirt to weigh a ton when it's finished!