Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I use a square up ruler??? >

How do I use a square up ruler???

How do I use a square up ruler???

Old 10-08-2013, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Here's my method when squaring up HST's... I take the sewn patch and place on my cutting mat. Line up the 45 degree line on the sewn seam. If the finished size of the HST is to be 2.5 inches say, I slide that 45 degree line on the seam until I get to the 2.5" mark on the ruler with the barest of fabric to be chopped off. Do this for all 4 sides. For two of the sides you will need to flip the ruler to get the 45 line going in the correct direction. By the time you are done all 4 sides your HST should measure an accurate 2.5" (or whatever measurement you are working with). If it's still a little off, follow the same process and trim until accurate.
Thank you for the detailed instruction. I will try this.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
This is my favorite also. My 1/2 square triangle blocks are always the perfect size. It is one tool that I count as invaluable! Super easy to use. I had to get mine at a quilt store. I am sure there is probably a U-Tube video on how to use it. I would definitely research it. I highly recommend it.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:28 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

That Patchwork Place 8" Square Ruler is my absolute favorite, one I use over and over, can't piece without it! Here's a quick graphic for using it.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails squaring-up-block.png  
Old 10-09-2013, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
That Patchwork Place 8" Square Ruler is my absolute favorite, one I use over and over, can't piece without it! Here's a quick graphic for using it.

Jan in VA
Great graphic and instructions. Thanks so much.

Serita
Old 10-10-2013, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post

Jan in VA
you always nail it! I just knew you would reply to this thread with good instructions before I ever saw your response.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:59 AM

No need to go out and buy a special ruler. All square or rectangle rulers that I have seen have the 45 degree mark on them. Start like NJ Quilter said, but you can trim two sides with one setting. Then flip the block the opposite way and trim the other two sides. I love watching Eleanore Burns do this: trimming two sides and then flipping it over to do the other two sides.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:08 AM

I have Quilt In A Day's triangle square up ruler and it was worth every penny. Love it.
One cut to square up. You square up before opening the triangle.
Attached Thumbnails quilt-uncut-2-tri.jpg  
Old 10-10-2013, 07:40 AM

The tucker trimmers are my favorite rulers to use for squaring up.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:45 AM

http://vimeo.com/42283574
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I-U_ZYcXH8
Old 10-10-2013, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Here's my method when squaring up HST's... I take the sewn patch and place on my cutting mat. Line up the 45 degree line on the sewn seam. If the finished size of the HST is to be 2.5 inches say, I slide that 45 degree line on the seam until I get to the 2.5" mark on the ruler with the barest of fabric to be chopped off. Do this for all 4 sides. For two of the sides you will need to flip the ruler to get the 45 line going in the correct direction. By the time you are done all 4 sides your HST should measure an accurate 2.5" (or whatever measurement you are working with). If it's still a little off, follow the same process and trim until accurate.
I do it very similar to how NJ does it. The only difference is that I trim the right side and across the top after placing my ruler's 45 degree line on the seam, then flip the block 180 degrees and trim again the right side and top, comes out perfect every time.