Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I use UFO Blocks? >

How do I use UFO Blocks?

How do I use UFO Blocks?

Old 06-02-2016, 02:55 AM

I was given a tip from the owner of our local quilt shop. She suggested using black fabric with tiny white dots as sashing around blocks of many different colors in order to bring them together. Maybe you could audition your blocks at the fabric store to see how you would like this look using any fabric that is black and white.
You may laugh at this, but my friend uses her ufo blocks to make tiny quilts that she uses between platters and casserole dishes in her cabinets so they won't chip.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:40 AM

When I'm done with my Gypsy Wife quilt along, I plan to tackle some of my orphan blocks, using them in the same manner.
Another option is to add them to the back of a quilt for her... she might get a kick out of having them incorporated into a quilt.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:53 AM

I also have orphans I should use and you gals have given me some ideas.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:54 AM

A white on black material is a good neutral for me when I am mixing blocks to make something unexpected. The darkness of the black seems to meld everything together and makes it look so modern.

I love the idea of the Gypsy Wife quilt using them. That way, you can make other smaller blocks and use some of those stripe fabrics that are the "What was I thinking" type of fabrics. http://www.jonesandvandermeer.com/pr...ypsy-wife.html

Why don't you post some pictures and let all these wonderful quilters help you position the blocs? It will be easier to make suggestions is we see the actual blocks. You could name the quilt, A Quilter's Journey.

Edited to add: Another suggestion....take pictures of any ideas you have where you actually place the blocks on fabric. This will let you look back and pick the best setting for you.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 06-02-2016 at 03:57 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:13 AM

I use them to make tote bags or small zippered bags. Also, our church does pocket prayer quilts and a UFO block is perfect for those. I haven't read all the responses...pot holders are another. Or sew the square onto a kitchen tea towel for a hostess gift.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:14 AM

Frame and hang on your sewing room walls?
Old 06-02-2016, 05:33 AM

I love the pieced backquilt. Bonnie hunter has awesome backs with orphan blocks!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_XYyxiBwbr4A/TS...ack%5B2%5D.jpg Carolina Christmas Front Carolina Christmas Back
Old 06-02-2016, 05:33 AM

Lots of good ideas expressed here. If you are sentimental about them, and it sounds like you are, I would do as suggested and find a neutral (or two), maybe frame in a narrow black and then a neutral, then make a sampler quilt. Setting them wonky, as suggested, is good if they aren't the same size. Good luck and please post pictures.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:36 AM

I make tote bags. They can be used as the 'wrapping paper' for gifts. If for a child, add a couple books. If for an adult, maybe some wine with crackers and cheese. Even a gift card bundled up in a large bit of tissue looks special in a small tote! I have even folded them in half and made a wine tote out of a UFO.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:56 PM

Sarah Craig at Confessions of A Fabric Addict shows a beautiful quilt that she made with orphan blocks.

Check out her post: http://confessionsofafabricaddict.bl...rphan%20blocks

She added scrappy strips around each block to make them the same size, sewed them together, and -- viola! -- a great quilt that anyone would be proud to own.

Last edited by MomtoBostonTerriers; 06-02-2016 at 01:58 PM.