Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to do irregular strips for landscape quilts? can you help? >

How to do irregular strips for landscape quilts? can you help?

How to do irregular strips for landscape quilts? can you help?

Old 07-31-2011, 12:53 PM

HI, I'm working on a 3 section landscape quilt of an ocean sunset. the top section is the sky as the sun sets. I'd like to create graduated color from the top to the bottom of the section in a series of oranges and reds. I have several fabrics. the distance is approx. 10" from top to bottom. I'd like to use relatively small strips to make the progression (3/8 - 3/4 inch) but sew them together in an irregular fashion, such that there is a shimmery quality and there is variation in width across the strips.

The closest I've seen online are the quilts of Denise Labadie, see the amazing Standing stones quilts at http://www.labadiefiberart.com/Galle...ng_Stones.html

does anyone have any hints on how to do this? I'm good at making the strips even, but not so clear about how to make irregular strips.
thanks for any leads or suggestions>

Stephanie in Joshua Tree, CA
(e-mail edited out by moderator please use PM)
Old 07-31-2011, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

How about the No Template technique that was shown yesterday?
Old 07-31-2011, 01:06 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!
Old 07-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Louisiana:) I would think that this would be a trial and error type of learning process. The key being is it's only fabric. Do it like you think it should go and then tweek it to get the look you want. The first one may not be on target but try again keep working. This is an art form not an absolute. Can't wait to see your work.....show us as you progress.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

Can you draw it out on paper and then use the drawing as templates :D:D:D
Old 07-31-2011, 02:43 PM

In looking at your web site and the enlargement of the Beltany Ring, it appears that Denise has used strips of fabric that are cut between 1/4 - 1 inch(some may be wider). The strips are cut straight and with curves, and then layered to give the dimension that you are looking to achieve.
I would guess that she has used a muslin for a backing piece and layered the strips on top using a fusible which would hold them in place until she does her quilting. If a fusible is not used then there are many who use glue sticks to attach the fabric until the quilting can be done.
However as others have pointed out, it will be the overall use of your colors of fabric that will give you the best dimension.
These are fabulous quilts and yours should be wonderful when it is done.
Happy Quilting,
Susan
Old 07-31-2011, 03:01 PM

I just joined but will do a search on No Template to see if it will be appropriate. thanks for the welcomes.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:40 PM

I'm trying a modified paper piecing method -- it kind of works but I think the puffiness of the irregular strips may add to the ambience of the sky -- especially when quilted.

Well, I only did a sample -- scaling up might be a bit of a trick. And paper foundation piecing is always a mental challenge when I first start doing it after being away for a while.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

The way I would approach this is with a machine applique technique using freezer paper. The "dog lady" uses this technique for her quilts. Here is a link to her nature quilts:
http://www.malec-designs.com/nature10.html

I won't go into all the steps here, because I'll probably forget some small but critical step! But basically you use the freezer paper as a master applique template. Use glue or paste to turn under the edge of a new strip (a la Harriet Hargrave machine applique), then machine applique it on top of the rough edge you have left from the previous strip.

As far as I know, this would be the best way to sew lots of wavy strips together.

It might be possible to piece them instead, again using freezer paper. In that case you would still draw a master template on freezer paper, but then you would cut apart the strips, iron them to the wrong side of fabric, cut the strips out 1/4" away from the freezer paper, then piece them together at the machine using the edges of the freezer paper as your guide. I think that would be a lot more difficult, though.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:37 PM

Look for a book called Accidental Landscapes. It explains this very well.