Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you afford to quilt if..... >
  • How do you afford to quilt if.....

• How do you afford to quilt if.....

Old 04-12-2011, 08:08 PM

ALL of the above are excellent suggestions, and I have done them all. Hang in there, better times are a commin !!!!! I picked up a quilt top, not exactly beautiful, but someone had put a lot of time and effort into the blocks, they were hand liquid embroidered. I got it for nothing, at a "Free for All" last summer. It has been lovingly quilted, and displayed in the tv room, even thought it is not my colours. But I love it, like everyone loves and orphan. It's a family favourite !!! From Auntie B, in finally it's spring in Saskatchewan, Canada.
    Old 04-12-2011, 08:56 PM

I have read all 8 pages and have a few extra ideas to add to the list.

1. I have an old large crock that we put all of coin change in and I turn it in at the bank once a year(they dont charge for turning coins to paper :) ) And I claim all pocket $ found when doing the laundry. Last year I made $316!

2. I pick up pennys and if I am lucky nickles and dimes off the street and add to the jar. 100 pennys equals 100 squats so I multi task and collect quilting $ and excerise at the same time... snicker

3. I made a rag quilt to be raffled off for my daughter's dance team during football season. Very easy, 6.5" squares denim on one side and flannel on the other. At the end of the school year I asked the school newpaper if I could put an add in for fabric for a quilt raffle they let me put it in for free. Feel free to use my wording if you like.
    "Going Green for Green...We need overly loved jeans and flannel shirts and flannel sheets to make a quilt to be raffled off during football season for the HS dance team please call ###-####"
    I also posted one at the library and postoffice. I would meet those that called that I didnt know at the HS or police station to pick up the donations to be safe.
    Once word got out that I was making a quilt to be raffled I was given jeans, yards of denim, new flannel, thread, old flannel shirts/sheets, one widower brought me garbage bags of material and various sewing supplies from his wife's old sewing stash and said she made me promise to give it to someone who quilts. I offered to pay him and he refused. Its been over a year and I still come home and find paper sacks of jeans and fabric on my porch. (we live in a small town).

4. If I receive good clothes/jeans that are still wearable I take them to the consiginment shop and sell them for few a $. They also let me know if they get clothes in that are un-sellable and give them to me for free.

Hugs, Elizabeth
    Old 04-12-2011, 09:14 PM

Join a guild, or around here the senior center, they often get donated fabric and crafting supplies, the people in the classes get the fabric for free and in the guilds families often donate fabrics and things from deceased members, by the way when friends and family ask what you want for a special occasion, do what I do and tell your friends gift certificates to your favorite fabric shop :D
    Old 04-12-2011, 10:27 PM

I don't buy the quilting books or magazines usually. We have a great library where I can borrow both the magazines and books! It's pretty rare for me to purchase a quilting book or magazine, I prefer to save my money for fabric when I can get it on sale.
    Old 04-13-2011, 03:41 AM

Most LQS's have a sale area. Check it out.
    Old 04-13-2011, 05:43 AM

Wow! Thank you. Bed skirts! Always lots of unwanted bed skirts in thrift stores. And the under-the-matress part could be used for strip piecing backing. Now, off to check in at Quiltville....
    Old 04-13-2011, 06:54 AM

I just finished up part 1 of this system. I now have a copy paper box of squares - 2.5", 3.5", 4", 5", and a boxes of mini strips, 2.5" strips and 1.5" strips (I am going to build a postage stamp quilt). I have been collecting photos from your posts for ideas, and I can't wait to get my UFOs down so I can start up.
    Old 04-13-2011, 05:56 PM

Thatis true, Green Bay Stores think every thing should be priced as if it were new.
    Old 04-13-2011, 07:13 PM

We have had many a comment about our stashes, why we have 'em, where we have 'em etc., etc. maybe this is why we do have them, but I know I do not ever have to buy fabric again and maybe it is a good time to share.
    I would love to team up with a person who has similar taste in fabric and share some of my stash.
    Mary
    Old 04-13-2011, 07:18 PM

I've started using stash fabrics making pieced backings. Also, I check out estate and garage sales that list sewing items, they usually have fabrics too. Fabric is getting so expensive, we are all looking for ways to save. Lots of good ideas here.