Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you assemble blocks? >

How do you assemble blocks?

How do you assemble blocks?

Old 04-29-2010, 05:14 AM

Many patterns start out by telling you to cut all the pieces you need first, then start putting them together. I am wondering how many of you do that. Of course it depends on the pattern, but I am talking about ones that are made up of only one or two repeated blocks.

The reason I am asking this is because I am contemplating making a quilt that has A LOT of repetitive cutting. Sometimes I like to cut enough for several blocks and then sew them before going on. I am not proficient enough to try stacking fabric one on top of another and cutting. That may be in the future, but not now.

I would be concerned that I would misplace some pieces already cut. If there are a lot of colors/pieces in the block, I might get overwhelmed and confused as to where I am.

How do you handle the logistics of this? Would you cut all the pieces and then do the assembly type thingy (I can’t remember the term…) on your machine? Or out of sheer boredom, or aching hands, would you change your activity?
Old 04-29-2010, 05:17 AM
Pam

I cannot wait to get started sewing so I usually cut enough for the first couple of blocks and then sew them together. There is an advantage to doing it this way, if the instructions are wrong, you have not cut up all of your fabric.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:19 AM

I would start by cutting only one block and putting it together to see how it goes. I made the mistake of cutting all my fabric for a quilt and found out the pattern had a cutting error in it. This was many years ago. So now I only do one block until I know it is correct. Also when you do cut all your pieces Plastic zip lock bags work great for keeping you project organized. Marge
Old 04-29-2010, 05:21 AM

I, too, start with one block and see if I like it. Then I will do the cutting for all the blocks, piece each component (HSTs, flying geese, etc) then put the block together. I like to chain piece and that is the easiest for me.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:35 AM

I also cut & piece 1 block to make sure the cutting instructions are correct. Then I'll cut until I get bored--piece until I run out--cut some more--piece--etc. If I cut it all & put it in bags, it will stay that way until my kids clean up for the estate sale! Out of sight--out of mind--forever!
Old 04-29-2010, 05:53 AM

I cut and run, then cut and run some more. LOL
Usually I cut one block, put it together and make sure it's right. If I've cut everything right and the directions are right then I cut all the pieces, label and put in baggies. That way I know if I need to go back for more fabric. Since I rarely make anything the way the actual pattern is I never know for sure just how much fabric I'm going to need. I suppose I could get one of those calculators but I think they're only as accurate as the operator so they probably aren't that precise. LOL
Old 04-29-2010, 06:06 AM
Pam

I won one of those calculators at a quilt show, it is still in the package. My theory is I need 3 yard of that, and that, and that, oh, and that one, too! I usually have eought to get started.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:17 AM
Banned

After making sure the cutting and piecing is correct I then cut the required number of pieces and then sew together.
I find that when I cut a few and piece then I have to refigure the total number I will need for the blocks.
Also I will know if I have enough fabric. I got into this twice recently when I did a few and then cut some more. It took me more time to keep track of number cut and number needed. It was frustrating so now I cut all I need and then start sewing. Helps me to keep it organized. Everything goes into zip lock bags.

I sometime sort individual blocks into paper plates and write any reminders, number etc directly on the plate. This also helps keep things organized.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:20 AM

I generally cut enough for a couple of blocks, as I am anxious to see what they look like. When I am cutting the rest, I use the top of a cardboard box (like a paper or storage box) to put my fabric in. I can keep the pattern there as well and it is easier for me to move (and stack - those darn UFO's)when I need to.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:33 AM
Banned

I recently made two throw size quilts using the same pattern of half and quarter square triangles. I followed the pattern directions and cut the required squares and it went together beautifully and very quick.
The second used the same large print with an assortment of black on black fabrics. I didn't cut the second one according to the directions. It took me twice as long to assemble the second as the first because I kept having to recount and add squares.
In the future when I make this, I will follow the directions