Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You Attach Rick Rack? >

How Do You Attach Rick Rack?

How Do You Attach Rick Rack?

Old 09-04-2011, 07:15 AM

I'm working on my guild's Presidents Challenge. One of the requirements is to use rick rack. I'm going to be using small rick rack to look like water sprouting from a watering can.

The block is already basted. It's part of a wall hanging and will never be washed.

Should I sew it on through all of the layers? Should I use a temporary fabric glue for placement first?

Is there some kind of permanent glue that I could use instead of sewing it on? What brand of glue is good?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-251274.jpe  
Old 09-04-2011, 07:19 AM

Jenn I would just sew it on right up the middle...either by hand or machine...you might need to put some fray chek on the ends...Why are you doing the water in black? I think it would look more like water if you used white or maybe a light gray or blue color rick rack? ..did you have a pattern or is this your own design?? It's really cute..you did a great job! crafty_linda_b
Old 09-04-2011, 07:20 AM

You could sew it on down the center of the rickrack or I've used Fabri-Tac permanent adhesive. It glues securely and dries fairly quickly. It's clear, too.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

since it's a wall hanging, i think any of your ideas would work. i like the dark blue color of the rick rack.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

if the project will be washed you might want to tack the edges- so they do not curl up- sewing right down the center is always an option-but if it gets washed the edges will curl
a permenent glue is always another option- liquid stitch is one but there are many to choose from- the thing about the permentent glues are they are next to impossible to sew through if you do want to add any stitching....and glues (can) gum up your needles....but if you do not intend to sew them at all- it will not make a difference.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
Why are you doing the water in black? I think it would look more like water if you used white or maybe a light gray or blue color rick rack? ..did you have a pattern or is this your own design?? It's really cute..you did a great job! crafty_linda_b
Thanks Linda...

I thought black would show up better. There are going to be black snaps sewn onto the water spout to look like holes.

I adapted a watering can pattern from QuiltCompany.com from the Thyme to Water collection. Theirs had a pieced can body and was upright. I substituted raw-edge applique because that's what the other blocks are made of.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

I use a twin needle that sews both sides of the rick rack with perfect spacing. I use different width sizes of twin needles a lot in quilting.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:03 AM

I just sew down the middle usually with invisible thread
Old 09-04-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by cherylynne
You could sew it on down the center of the rickrack or I've used Fabri-Tac permanent adhesive. It glues securely and dries fairly quickly. It's clear, too.
Just curious if the Fabri-Tac permanent adhesive would hold up if used on a quilt or something that needed to be washed.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by lynn7448
Originally Posted by cherylynne
Just curious if the Fabri-Tac permanent adhesive would hold up if used on a quilt or something that needed to be washed.
The bottle says that it's washable and I have had good results with gentle washing.