Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you attache quilt to old fashioned quilting frames? >

How do you attache quilt to old fashioned quilting frames?

How do you attache quilt to old fashioned quilting frames?

Old 02-17-2009, 04:06 PM

My mom made one similar to that using 4 1"x2" boards and c clamps she props hers on chairs. Looks easier than the big frame I have that takes up half the basement. No wonder she gave me the frame!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:46 PM

Shorter boards are great for baby quilts or lap quilts! :lol:
They do take up a lot of room. The ladies tell me that these kinds of frames were often hoisted to the ceiling when not being used! :lol:
Old 02-17-2009, 04:56 PM

:) Thank you so much for sharing the pictures and all of the aggravation of trying to get the pictures up. That helps alot. I see the thumb tacks. My frame's look almost like tobacco sticks, only a little larger and they have holes all across on all 4 frames. The elederly man that gave them to me, just today told me how his mom used to do it too. He said she took a needle with tobacco twine, sewed through the (he kept saying lining) and pulled through the holes in the frame which pulled the materal tight. I like your way, it looks much easier, only I don't know if I can use thumb tacks with all of those holes in the frames. I saw both of your pictures and the quilting is already beautiful. I see you have your quilt sandwich all together, right just like I would do if I was to lay the sandwich on the floor and baste around and across then quilt. He said his mother put the lining (which he refers to the backing) on first, and pulled tight, then the batting and quilt top last. I was thinking you would go ahead and sandwich and put the whole quilt on and pull tight which looks like what you did. I am gonna try. I have to finish my quilt first, I am making (2) matching twin sizes. Thanks again!
Old 02-17-2009, 05:00 PM

Thanks Jannie, That's a good idea, to square it off before you begin. I would not even thought about that. Thank You! :)
Old 02-17-2009, 05:06 PM

:) You are cetainly welcome, Sara, highjack my thread anytime, I like that term, it's cute. That's how we learn is to ask, especially when I am new at quilting and I don't have a soul who can help or show me. In NC, not that many women quilt anymore. I have learned alot from this quilting board. :D