Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how do you avoid shaking hands with arthritic hands? >

how do you avoid shaking hands with arthritic hands?

how do you avoid shaking hands with arthritic hands?

Old 02-15-2011, 11:27 PM

Take alfalfa capsules for your arthritis. I think you will be shaking hands soon. My mom couldn't play the piano for years because the arthritis was too painful. She started taking alfalfa and was able to play the piano again for many years, up until the day she died. Google Alfalfa and Arthritis for more information.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:28 PM

Again, there are times it's not practical to explain-----------as during Mass at the sign of peace. Generally a person will shake hands with 5 or 6 people. Just not time[/quote]

This is when I use my curled small finger shake. I smile, we touch hands, everyone feels good and no time lost. And during Mass one doesn't often end up seated by the same people so explanations are only for the one time. No one has ever acted the least put out by the curled fingers. I also have fibromyalgia along with arthritis.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Dkm

I've had days like that and I simply say "Sorry my hands are hurting today and I can't shake your hand, but it's so good to see you." Most people understanding.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:47 AM

I had a lady @ church the other day just put her hand @ my wrist and by-passed my hand all together. Like she was shaking "hands" with my wrist. I thot it was because of germs but may have been her way of of eliminating pain.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:38 AM

I slide my hand out and shake shake using the heel of my hand to the heel of their hand. That way my fingers aren't involved in the handshake at all.

I don't apologize or say anything. I just beat them to the end of the shake.

ali
Old 02-23-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by toomanycats
I have arthritis in my hands and some days is very painful and sensitive. It hurts alot to have someone grab a hand. How do you polietly refuse to shake someones hand that is offered without looking like I am nuts or stuck up?
I am late responding, but I have Lupus and it is too painful for me to shake hands, so I just look at people and say, with a smile on my face, "You may only shake hands with my finger-nail as I have lupus and I can't stand the pain of your handshake". It stops them immediately from grabbing my hand, and usually they laugh at the 'finger-nail' remark, and I can avoid the handshake. I used to endure...but no longer can stand the pain, so I just have to say "no" now. If people don't understand, then I can't help it anymore, but it's my pain I have to live with for hours afterward.