Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you check your basting before quilting? >

How do you check your basting before quilting?

How do you check your basting before quilting?

Old 12-26-2020, 11:36 AM

Default How do you check your basting before quilting?

Newbie on my third quilt. I have a minky back and want to make sure I basted it correctly before moving on to quilting. How do you check it? I tried spray basting and it worked well for the top but the minky didn't stick for some reason. So then I pin basted as well but 4" apart.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:19 PM

I am not a good baster! hoping somebody else may have an answer here. I sometimes will just trust the basting is good enough, start quilting, then re-do the basting after a section of it is already secured with quilting. Give yourself plenty of extra width and length on the batting and the backing to allow for any errors that come up!
Old 12-27-2020, 03:43 AM

I don't like basting. So much so that I would give up quilting if I had to do it again with pins. Hurts my back. I try to only buy fusible batting but if I can't get that or don't have it on hand, I'll glue baste. Regular school glue and water and brush it on and set it with an iron. Holds better than spray basting and it doesn't take your breath away like the spray. I do it on my cutting table in sections. Holds like a charm. Sometimes the edges will come loose so I just reglue if I need to. You could try that if you can iron minky. Iron doesn't have to be hot, hot - just hot enough to dry the glue. You might try that.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:53 AM

I have gone to glue basting the fabrics don't move when glued down with Elmer's Washable School Glue. There are many tutorials online that demo this technique. I am in love with this method.
Old 12-27-2020, 02:24 PM

I haven't seen the glue basting technique before, I'll definitely have to look that up on Youtube! Thanks! It was my first time spray basting and I don't think I'll do it again-too smelly and messy
Old 12-27-2020, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

I also glue baste. I don’t dilute or brush it on. Just drizzle it in from the bottle in a grid. I don’t iron it. Just let it air dry. I’m never in a hurry - it doesn’t gum up the needle after it is dry. Make sure it is the washable school glue.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:36 AM

I use the Sharon Schamber board method of basting, and the herringbone stitch and tatting thread she recommends. The tatting thread really clings to the fabric, and with the herringbone stitch, things can't shift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_EjBGz5vGQ
Old 12-28-2020, 10:34 PM

The way she uses the boards looks so interesting! I may hve to try the glue and boards on practice pieces to see what works best. Thanks!
Old 12-29-2020, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
I have gone to glue basting the fabrics don't move when glued down with Elmer's Washable School Glue. There are many tutorials online that demo this technique. I am in love with this method.
I just recently started glue basting and I LOVE it. Before I pin basted and that was such a pain! But that was how I was taught. It took me a couple of quilts to get a system for glue basting, but once I got one that worked for me , I never looked back LOL
Old 12-29-2020, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

I also love glue basting. You can iron it or just leave it overnight if you have the time. I've never used minky though.