Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you clean your ironing surface? >

How do you clean your ironing surface?

How do you clean your ironing surface?

Old 12-08-2014, 08:50 AM

Default How do you clean your ironing surface?

I made my own ironing board out of plywood and stapled cotton batting to it. Because I wanted to be able to wash the cover, I made a pillowcase-like sleeve for it. The cover fits well, but there is still some folds in it when I iron, because I need some room to be able to slide it over the board. I've been thinking of getting some of the silver-colored ironing board fabric and stapling that to the board instead of using the "slipcover." Since I use spray starch to iron my fabric, the cover I have now gets pretty stiff and dirty with use. Can one "wash" the silver fabric with a damp, soapy cloth to clean it or what? How do you clean yours?
Old 12-08-2014, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

I'm headed to the fabric stores after bit and this silver fabric is on my list. It should have cleaning instructions. May find it on Google also.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:32 AM

I like the teflon fabric because it reflects the heat back up as you iron, so you can iron two pieces at once. It makes a good ironing board cover, but I like to cover it with another piece of fabric. I covered my big board ironing board with two layers of 100% cotton batting, then the teflon fabric. Then, I made a removable cover from pillow ticking and put grommets around the edge. I threaded clothesline through the grommets and pulled the cover taut. I can remove it when it gets grungy and throw it in the washer. You could also do this with the "pillowcase" you already have. Just put grommets down both sides of the cover, then thread clothesline through them like lacing a shoe. That will take all the slack out of it.

The silver teflon fabric is totally washable. My sister uses it on all the potholders she makes, and she keeps me well supplied. When they get dirty, I just throw them in the wash with the rest of the wash.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

I have a muslin on my ironing board made out of square of plywood. I iron a square of white freezer paper to the muslin. The shiny side sticks to the muslin for quite a while and when it gets dirty, I peel it off and put on a new square.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

I have the silver stuff stapled on my big board. Yes, it does wipe clean with warm water and dish soap. I also wipe with a clean wet rag afterwards. Towel dry. Easy!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:42 AM

I make ironing board covers using a casing and elastic. It is easy to slip off, holds steady, and washes well. I use 100% cotton. Most of the time the fabric is some of the "What was I thinking when I bought this?"
Old 12-08-2014, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
I have the silver stuff stapled on my big board. Yes, it does wipe clean with warm water and dish soap. I also wipe with a clean wet rag afterwards. Towel dry. Easy!
Yes, that is what I was wondering. I figured if I stapled it to the board, I would want to "wash in place," rather than remove the staples, take it off, wash it, then staple it back on. Too much work! Good to know that I can just wipe it down with a soapy cloth, then clean wet rag. I love to starch my fabric, but it sure makes a mess sometimes.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:55 AM

I got tired of cotton on my board burning in the place where I ironed the most, so last time I bought the silver fabric and it's been a godsend. You can just wipe it off. Had it on for over a year and it still looks and feels great. My husband and I first left on the old cotton and stapled right over it. But it wrinkled and was not easier to iron over. So we took it all off and started over with new batting and only the silver fabric. Bought it on sale at Joanns.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:06 AM

I have 2 of the Miracle type, one came with the board. I have a Pfaff ironing board that pulls the steam through. It has a motor. I think the covers and lining need to be porous. I just throw the covers in the wash. Will be ordering another from Miracle.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

Interesting post. I find that I have a large size of June Taylor ironing pad 20"x60". It has been getting dirty from over spray of starch.