Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you cope with---- >

How do you cope with----

How do you cope with----

Old 12-28-2011, 09:49 AM

Sorry to hear about your arthritis. What I use to pull the needle is, and I wear it all the time I am quilting, a rubber finger that they use to count money or handle papers. I get them at Staples or any office supply. What I do is cut the top off (only a little) to let air in. I love wearing it all the time because I don't have to be picking something up and putting it down. I just quilt away. Hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:47 PM

I'm going to echo the endorsement of glucosamine. I buy a store brand of 1500 mg of glucosamine and 1500 mg of chondrotin (or however it is spelled!). It works very well. I found a trial study on the effect of using glucosamine. Here's the website: http://nccam.nih.gov/research/results/gait/qa.htm#c1 You can scroll down the page to see a summary of the results.

Also a hearty hear! hear! for arthritis gloves. I had to look hard for mine since my arthritis is in the second knuckles of my hand (the ones closest to the tip of the fingers) and most gloves only cover the first knuckles. The warmth and pressure from the gloves is wonderful.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:02 PM

Red face "Finger Cots"

Originally Posted by deemail View Post
I prefer the little round rubber tips of rubber gloves...buy some inexpensive ones, cut most of the finger off and then roll up so it looks like a little condom....put one on thumb and one on forefinger, roll down about an inch...i can grip the needles well with these... the easiest way to roll them is to put on a finger and then begin at bottom edge...
Finger Cots are exactly what deemail described. You should be able to purchase them at any drug store. Hope this helps. I hope your situation does not discourage you from continuing to do what you so dearly love - QUILTING.

Good Luck
W (of vwquilting)
Old 12-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

i use bio=flex or asprincream ask your dr he maybe able to help you
Old 12-29-2011, 06:36 PM

The gin sounds like a real winner!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:21 PM

also --if you are still using betweens needles i would give size 9 or 10 straw/milliners needles also clover has some longer thin needles---all are easier to grip as they are longer but just as fine