Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You Cut Your Fabric? >

How Do You Cut Your Fabric?

How Do You Cut Your Fabric?

Old 06-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

You have to be careful when ironing, too aggressive and you can easily distort the fabric, especially if it is damp :wink: after washing and drying, I hang fabric over a shower curtain and spray with starch diluted with water, get the fabric pretty damp and it usually dries nicely with minimal pressing.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:55 PM

If I washed and dried my fabric again to get rid of the Magic Sizing would the fabric kinda go back to the way is was so I can start over?
Old 06-21-2009, 11:18 PM

I usually cut with right side up but if pattern is too busy or dark to see the ruler lines, I turn it over to the lighter side.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:41 AM

It is amazing how hard it is to get really good quality fabric. More than 40 years ago my home ecnomics teacher warned us that fabric was often distorted in the process of it being rolled on the bolt at the factory. I have always been one who tears my fabric to make sure it is truly straight. I worked for more than a year for a business that did custom dressmaking and alterations. In the garmet industry true grain is very important. I learned the hard way that it also makes a big difference in quilt making. When I have to piece I make sure the fabric is always on the grain or the results will not be pretty.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:40 AM

Speaking of being wrapped crookedly on the bolt... I'm very puzzled about this issue. I find that the fabric is usually quite straight on one side of the fold, and is only crooked on the other half. Is anybody else finding this to be the case?
Old 06-22-2009, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
It is amazing how hard it is to get really good quality fabric. More than 40 years ago my home ecnomics teacher warned us that fabric was often distorted in the process of it being rolled on the bolt at the factory. I have always been one who tears my fabric to make sure it is truly straight. I worked for more than a year for a business that did custom dressmaking and alterations. In the garmet industry true grain is very important. I learned the hard way that it also makes a big difference in quilt making. When I have to piece I make sure the fabric is always on the grain or the results will not be pretty.
My aunt, who taught me everything, used to make custom draperies and she always said the same thing.

So, when you are cutting quilting blocks, do you use the grain or the print to line up the edges? This has been a point of frustration for me when the print does not line up with the grain.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:43 AM

this was the subject of an extensive thread, which i cannot find now.

the upshot was that some us felt like the weaving threads were straight and tearing at the shop gave truer lines to follow. these members felt that shops ought to rip fabric instead of cutting.

others of us felt that cutting was better because fabrics today are not woven as evenly as they once were and after washing they will return to the shape in which they were woven.

it was generally agreed that ripping lengthwise was preferable for long strips as the lengthwise threads were reliable for borders and sashings.

if anyone can find the thread, that might help. but the results were really very mixed. i wish i could remember the name of the thread.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Banned

I feel the same way about crooked cutting of fabric by sales people ! I cannot for the life of me see why when they have a groove to cut in , it's crooked ! I buy a lot of remnants for applique and so many of them are so crookedly cut , it looks like a 2 year old cut them .

I just bought a panel of 4 looney tunes pillow panels [ remnant bin ] all of them are cut into the main panels ! GRRR! I wanted to make totes with these for Christmas presents , but now I need to find some way to add more to it . Anyone who buys these knows there is a line to cut them apart . Not these . These came from Walmart and they are all getting rid of all fabric ! May have to stop sewing / quilting .

Annie