Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you display your quilts in your home?

How do you display your quilts in your home?

I'm looking for ideas how to display my quilts in my home. For example, quilt racks, quilt ladders, hanging on walls. Any pictures would be great.
    Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I had a old decorative curtain rod, we put it on the wall in the living room and use the rings to hang a quilt.

Nothing exotic here, just the traditional wall and floor quilt racks and wall hangingss.
    ... Plus of course, the old fashioned display method on beds and couches!!

I'm always looking for new/different/unique display possibilities, so hope some to follow will show us those!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have some quilt racks and a glass and wood quilt chest and I also use decorative curtain rods.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/BarbAndVivsQuilts?view_type=gallery

I have an oak quilt rack and a metal quilt rack that I move quilts around on. I have a short ladder with lap quilts draped on the rungs. I have quilts on the back of the couch, loveseat & recliner. I have wallhangings mixed in with paintings on the walls. Can't imagine where else I could display them with a rancher style house, but IF I had a home with stairs & railings I think you could come up with a few interesting displays.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivian Ketron View Post
    I have some quilt racks and a glass and wood quilt chest and I also use decorative curtain rods.
    That is pretty much what I do, except I've added several windows that I use as quilt display areas instead of having a curtain/drape on them. Two of them look out onto "nothing", so am happy to have them displaying quilts.
    God Bless,
    Rachel

I have 2 quilt racks and decorative rods for hanging quilts on the walls. I just salvaged an old wooden ladder for $.50 which is weathered gray and have it leaning up against the side of our stone fireplace. As the rungs aren't very wide, I hang my runners and wall hangings on the rungs. Now 3 of my quilting friends are scouting for old wooden ladders.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

I hanging most of my quilts on decorative curtain rods. I also have them on the back of the couch, on quilt ladders, in a glass front cabinet and hanging on a door using an embrodiery hoop. Here's a link to my album if you want to see how they look.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums16383.html

Anywhere I can find a place.

I've given every quilt I ever made away; someone day I will be able to make one for myself. Have three quilts to do now, and the list keeps growing! But I enjoy making them!
    Kathleen
    Retired, and love quilting!

I like folding the smaller ones and putting them on shelf in TV cabinet or curio cabinet shelf. Also fold 2 or 3 and put in large basket or magazine rack. I saw a picture of a bed without a head board the other day, and they had taken one of those decorative rods and placed it on the wall above the bed about as high as a headboard would be, and then they hung a quilt over it, I really liked that look. Much better than just hanging a large quilt.

Blog Entries
    I have a quilt rack that displays three generations of quilting. The rest are on the bed. Edie

PS - Not all at the same time!!!!!!!!

I don't. Our area is very dry and dusty, so I don't want them to look grubby as I'm often asked to do a "Show and Tell at quilt groups or respite centres etc. and I like them to look nice when I am "showing off"...too lazy to wash them as well.

Hang them on everything!

If it holds still it is fair game to use as a hanger!

Bamboo garden stick --$1.00
    Tiny hook--almost free
    weird stick -free
    velcro and school glue which did not take paint off after 2 years--less than $1.00
    In Chile the circuit box is at the front door-that had to be covered!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Suzie
    Author; I Don't Know Where I Want to Be -But it Isn't Here!

I found an antique ladder and have my quilts wrapped on the steps. My LR is half vaulted so the other half is like a suspended wall, I plan on hanging my bigger quilt up there. I have one ready to go just need to get a tall enough ladder to reach the top

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ksdot417 View Post
    I hanging most of my quilts on decorative curtain rods. I also have them on the back of the couch, on quilt ladders, in a glass front cabinet and hanging on a door using an embrodiery hoop. Here's a link to my album if you want to see how they look.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums16383.html
    Your Quilts are beautiful, also displayed very nice.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

I have some on the backs of chairs and others on a quilt rack my uncle made.

I have a quilt display cabinet that my 3 daughters gave me , it was bought in Winnsboro,TX. in the 2002. Beautiful Amish
    glass with wood frame . I have 2 quilts in it one I made and the other my mother made in 1948. Hers is all hand quilted, it was
    a gift to my sister just older than me, now it is in safe keeping for one of my grand daughters.

Fantastic suggestions on different ways to display quilts! I personally purchased from a company that I visited their booth at show. http://www.hangupscompany.com/index_Quilt_Hangers.html I think they are pricey but they've done the job. I will be incorporating some of the lessor expensive suggestions in this thread....Looking for an older/used decrorative curtain rod is my focus now.

Any suggestions as to where a good place to start to find decorative curtain rods?
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

My husband built me a quilt ladder. It's made of wood and has rungs just like any other ladder It's about 7 feet tall and the rungs about 22 inches wide. Spaced about a foot apart. hope that helps I love mine. It stands against the wall and takes up very little room and displays them very well. barb hope this helps
    Barb

Blog Entries
    Like the idea of the embroidery hoop as running out of wall space here

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I only display ONE...there is one on the sofa and one in the recliner, but only ONE is on display at any given time, and it hangs from a display my DH made.
    Name:  christmas tea cup quilt.JPG
Views: 383
Size:  732.3 KBfor the holidays, I had my Christmas teacup quilt hanging

Can thoes of you who use ladders POST PICTURES ?! Id love to see how you do it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    I only display ONE...there is one on the sofa and one in the recliner, but only ONE is on display at any given time, and it hangs from a display my DH made.
    Name:  christmas tea cup quilt.JPG
Views: 383
Size:  732.3 KBfor the holidays, I had my Christmas teacup quilt hanging
    Jacquie , that is SO pretty !!! Is that a pattern I can find somewhere ?! I have a teapot collection, and that would be perfect to make !!!!

My full size quilts I hang in my hallway. The house is bungalow so it has a long hall. I cut a trim board 3 inches wide by about 90 inches long. Then glues clothes pins onto it. Used a strong, sturdy glue and lots of wood clothes pins. Then I nailed the board with clothespins onto the wall at the ceiling. Hang the quilts by clothepinning them. No need for a hanging sleeve. The hall lighting is tracklighting so it is more like an art gallery. And get help and a ladder to hang or take down the quilt.
    Rules of Life:1-Don't take anything personally 2-Integrity of words and deeds 3-Don't make assumptions 4-Do your best

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast