Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you do it? >

How do you do it?

How do you do it?

Old 01-03-2011, 12:28 PM

I mostly do my sewing after housework, lunch, etc. but if I am working on something I really like, everything else falls by the wayside. Right now I am spending too much time on here because I am on vacation in Texas and away from my sewing room, but when I am on here, I force myself to quit to sign off.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by elseebee
I'm trying to convince my husband to become a polygamist. I would be the "quilting" wife and the other(s) could take care of the cooking, cleaning,.....
That's a good one. I was considering remarrying just to have someone to prepare my meals and clean the house. Trouble is they expect something in return; and that is not quilts to sleep under.
:-x LOL... I have to admit, my dh is great. He cooks, cleans and does laundry, so we just alternate around depending on our work schedules. He loves doing laundry now that we have a new washer & dryer, so that was a fantastic investment! LOL. I've decided after reading all these responses, that my problem isn't making the time to sew, it's finding the particular project I want to do and having the right fabric for that project. THAT would motivate me to cut and sew :-)
Old 01-03-2011, 12:53 PM

[quote=MNM]
Originally Posted by nance-ell
I'm always amazed at the talent on this board. Not just the sewing, but the creativity! I see so much I want to try, but finding time is my first challenge... before even thinking about the challenge of creating something worthy to share with you folks! Between work, housework, cooking, etc.... not to mention spending way too much time on this board... LOL. How do you all find the time?
Working and spending time here is OK, but who told you you have to do housework and cook. At our home, if I'm sewing, if you are hungry you go get something to eat if the house is a mess and it bothers you, straighten it up. A system that works for us. I am 73 and my DH is 83. to old to work, clean or cook if I don't feel like it. Old is good sometimes. MNM
Old 01-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Ummm......... I don't.
I'm here too much hahahaha
Me too.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:05 PM

Well, since I love to cook and that does take time, I 'cook for my freezer.'m That is a do big batches that I can freeze in appropriate portions. It doesn't take that much more time either. Then I can quilt while things are slow cooking, like soups and such. Later on, when quilting I can just take something out of the freezer and keep on quilting. I have to remind myself to eat, though.

I figure quilting is my mental health therapy and I don't have to leave home for appointments. Also, it is OK if I do it in bits and pieces of time. I just enjoy the process.

ali
Old 01-03-2011, 02:14 PM

I have soo much going on here all the time!!! I never seem to get any one thing done ~ no I am not ADHD lol
I am going to try the advice that if you love to do it take time for it!!! I plan on doing alot more sewing - I love to be on this site but I dont have the time always to keep my "regular" status...will try to work on that too!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat
Well, since I love to cook and that does take time, I 'cook for my freezer.'m That is a do big batches that I can freeze in appropriate portions. It doesn't take that much more time either. Then I can quilt while things are slow cooking, like soups and such. Later on, when quilting I can just take something out of the freezer and keep on quilting. I have to remind myself to eat, though.

I figure quilting is my mental health therapy and I don't have to leave home for appointments. Also, it is OK if I do it in bits and pieces of time. I just enjoy the process.

ali
I do this too. Today I made potato-leek soup from leftover leeks from Christmas. Had to go out this morning and get some potatoes, upstairs from the grocery store is a quilt shop so thought I had better check that out. By the time I got home it was noon. Never did get to the sewing but I have 3 nice packs of soup to feast on when I am weary of sewing. Tomorrow will be sewing day.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:46 PM

I do a lot of piecing and quilting by hand at work on break and lunch. I usually have 3 or 4 projects going at once and use 2 gallon ziplock bags that I have the projects in so if I am going to the doctors office, take kids somewhere when I have to sit and wait I have my piecing or quilting to work on. I also hate to do housework so try to do as little as possible lol.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:56 PM

OH Nance...I must confess...I do minimum housework, except when company is coming....I really want to read and sew. It's not quite a Hoarder house, tho! ;-)
Old 01-03-2011, 05:20 PM

I usually sew in 15-30 minute segments....in between all the "stuff at home" that must be done. I DON't clean house like i used to....just when it's absolutely necesssary. At my age, I need to be doing what I love,....and that's quilting!!