Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how do you find out about retreats? >

how do you find out about retreats?

how do you find out about retreats?

Old 11-06-2015, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I know I have announced retreats at my Guild and Bee, there are always those poo pooers who say, it's too expensive, not worth it.
Same here! My guild has many poo pooers. Everything is always too expensive to them so naturally if it cost money it's not worth it.
I google quilt retreats and find one that is open or I can book one if I get enough quilters that want to go. Then announce at guild a retreat is available and to see me for details after the meeting. I don't discuss anything else about it during guild meeting.
Many retreats are for people that go as a group and one of your friends may get invited but not at liberty to ask others to go too.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:41 PM

I've been looking and looking for one in southeast (FL, GA, N & SC, TN, or KY) reasonably priced in the summer for my sister and I, but can't find anything. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 11-06-2015, 06:07 PM

Contact quilt guilds. Quilt shops. Word of mouth amongst quilters.
sandy
Old 11-06-2015, 06:49 PM

I'm with Cybrarian. I'm willing to travel, but it needs to be in the summer. Everything that comes up on google is just venues that invite you to bring your friends. Others are put on by a local guild for themselves, so everyone would know everyone else except us, and I just anticipate cliques. Still looking for an open retreat.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:58 AM

There are2 in Indiana I go to every year. One is a UFO in July and the second one is in Sept. They are at Camp Tecumeseh.

nancyw
Old 11-07-2015, 05:38 AM

One by one, that's a great idea. I never thought about not telling them details. Perfect. That way only those interested will seek me out at the end of the meeting. Thanks. If you are in Tampa Bay area, check out the Country Register. When I shop hopped using it last year, there were a few retreats listed. You are in the perfect area to find one. So many shops.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

If they were true friends they would be more forthcoming. I call those kind of people "acquaintances".
Originally Posted by Jakers1 View Post
Several quilting friends have gone on retreats and when I asked them how they found out about them, they were not very forthcoming. So, how does one find out about them, when and where they are, how much they are and so forth? I am in Wisconsin.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:20 AM

I attend a quilt retreat twice a year on the shore of Lake Superior at Silver City, MI. I knew one person when I began attending and have enjoyed it so much I keep going back and have made several very close friends that I look forward to seeing and sewing with each year. It is put on by Portage Quilt House in Houghton, MI. You sew on your own projects and have many accomplished quilters plus owners who help whenever you need it. They also have gift bags for each one who comes with many very nice gifts included. Being from Northern Wisconsin, and considering the cost I am so grateful to have a hunter husband who says, "consider it your hunting trip". I know there is always one at a camp, Fort Wilderness, near Rhinelander, WI each fall and it also has been told to me that it is very good. Have not been to this one, hear they have someone there to lead a project, but I enjoy the one I do attend so much could never justify 3 retreats a year. If you would like more info, pm me. Where in Wisconsin are you located? grammasharon
Old 11-07-2015, 06:49 AM

I go to a great one in E. Central IL with a quilt shop attached. Contact me for more information or their website. It is open to singles, bedding and towels provided, but you either bring your own food/order take out/or eat out. They do have two kitchens (no range or oven, but crock pots, microwaves, electric skillets, etc. and propane grill with a beautiful covered patio/garden outside. Sleeps 30+. I go at least once a month for 3-4 nights!
Old 11-07-2015, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Here is an excellent one in my area for friends to go as a group. http://www.robertscarriagehouseretreat.com/