Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How do you fmq a t-shirt/memory quilt?

How do you fmq a t-shirt/memory quilt?

I have the blocks all done and ready to assemble into the top. Some of them are 3-D using collars, pockets, snaps, etc. and I love the way they have turned out. But I am unsure how to quilt it. I know I don't want a busy pattern that will distract the eyes away from the fabrics/logos. My batting has quilting requirements of 4-6". I was thinking just a simple diagonal grid with lines 4" apart, but very unsure. How do I choose what thread color to use? I've tried looking for quilts here, but can't see the quilting. Is is ok to stitch through the designs on the shirts? So many questions and so much confusion in my poor brain. HELP ME, Please!

What about tying it? I tied many T-shirt quilts before I got my LA. T-shirt quilts are very heavy, I think it would be an effort in frustration to try and quilt on a DSM but if you do decide to tackle it a grid would work but in that case I would not FMQ it but use the feed dogs.

You might want to check out this post: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t224144.html

It has a lot of good tips and ideas.

On the first three t-shirt quilts that I made, I didn't use fusible interfacing behind the shirts. I did some hand quilting around the logos and then tied the rest. The last one that I did was fused. I had it quilted by a LAer. I have a UFO tshirt top that's been done for many years. I think I'll just SITD around the sashings and then tie the blocks. The first one that I did was done in 1998 and is washed often. It is used daily on my daybed.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    the t-shirt quilt I just finished quilting for a customer turned out really well- we chose to just do a large wavy stipple over it- I did not quilt through the decals- I kind of went in & out & around them- I used invisible thread on the top and a cotton thread that matched the backing in the bobbin- turned out great
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

T shirt quilts are tricky, I think. I have to make one also.

I usually use invisible thread on the top. I do similarly as cindi on the link mentioned above. I do not quilt through the logo. I use a different design in each block that touches each other. I may occasionally quilt through part of a design. If you do that quilt slowly because the design may catch on the thread.

yel
    Blog Entries
    i tend to use a tan thread for t-shirt quilts and let the design of the shirt dictate how to quilt it ......don't go around all the letters individually but in groups /around pictures /maybe if there is lots of room around the edges i do a rope like loop-de-loop it just makes the shirts pop ..and the tan or off white thread blends in with rather than taking away from the shirts ....good luck ...can't wait to see it

I love to longarm T-shirt quilts, especially if the customer gives me a little "artistic freedom" with the design. I always use invisible tread. I tend to let each individual t-shirt designs help me decide what it needs. Outlining designs, words, doing different background fills, etc. And some customers just want simple meander and that works too. But I would definitely recommend monofilament thread...my favorite one is Essence by Fil-tec. (And also insist that t-shirts are stabilized!)
    Becky A.

Hi, Buckeye. I'm curious to know what you decided. I just finished piecing my blocks as well and also not sure how best to quilt it. I'm surprised at how thick it is. One question for you - did you add sashing, and if so did you stabilize that too? The cotton is so much thinner than the T-shirt blocks.

The t-shirt quilt I made for my friend's son turned out to be a queen size and it was very heavy. I did some kind of creativing FMQ in each block but only around the design. I avoided the design completely. I tied a knot inside of each cornerstone to give it a less formal look since it will be for a boy and in a dorm room. Who knows what kind of abuse it will be subjected to. haha The FMQ wasn't fancy or had special designs....I basically treated each block as a practice block and took my time since the quilt was so heavy. Stitched something different in each block, willy/nilly...it turned out fine and he loved it. I've attached a pic, sorta of fuzzy because it was an i-phone pic. My advice, take your time, take breaks, and perfection isn't important. Enjoy the process.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stitch124, really great! Thanks for sharing your picture.
    ( `v )
    `.. ♥
    ..) .*) Sheri in Texas
    (. (. .
    a stitch in time saves nine.....