Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do you get started?

Blog Entries
    My biggest road block is cutting the fabric. What if I found a better pattern, what if I cut it wrong?
    This has plagued me all my life. You are NOT alone.
    MaryKatherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

OK, just do it! Cutting is tedious but once that's done, isn't it fun to do the sewing. By the way, if you plan on making flying geese, do yourself a favor and buy the 'Wing Clipper" ruler. You will love it! There are a couple of different rulers on the market but the Wing Clipper is the best. It will make your flying geese experience much easier and much more accurate. Good luck!

Maybe it's that you feel you must do ALL the cutting before you can start sewing? Cut some, sew some, etc. It works for me.
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

Vat
    Are you afraid of the flying geese? I have never had your problem but I am sure it might happen at some point. One of the best ways I have found to make flying geese is with the Square in a Square by Jodi Barrows method. You might want to check out that method (you make 2 at one time), I love it and recomment it highly. Here is her web: www.squareinasquare.com

me too. I have a house full of UFOs or if you are charitable, WIP. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    Thats funny, because I am a great starter and horrible finisher

I'll make you a deal, you come clean my oven and I will cut out your quilt.LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by a View Post
    I am going to make a big admission... I will do every form of displacement therapy to get away from starting a quilt. I have even been known to clean the oven rather than start cutting. I know once I start I will be fine.

Actually I am sitting here tonight looking at a great selection of fabrics and yet I am posting on here...

I have a flying geese quilt in my sights, I have planned it in my mind's eye... so please someone, tell me to get on with it... and it would be lovely to hear that I am not alone!

I'm sort of like this -- my problem is I hate to cut into such beautiful fabrics! I LOVE just looking at them, touching them, etc. But when the quilt is done and I get the "Ooooo's and Ahhhh's" from admirers it certainly all worth it. If only they knew what I go through to get to the Done point! LOL Glad I'm not alone.

I love quilting but I hate cutting. If I could find somebody to do the cutting I would be in heaven.

Blog Entries
    sorry you're having problems motivating yourself to quilting. I would rather sew / quilt more than anything else. I always seem to have to get one more block finished before I can do anything else, like cooking, cleaning, etc.

BUT....next week, I MUST stop sewing to get the house straightened up.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Okay, it's been a month now since I've sewn. I have so many projects, UFOs and new projects, waiting for me and I can't decided. I need to get my baby quilt done first, but it's just sitting there. I go into my sewing studio every day, but leave after a few minutes. I always plan on at least straightening it up, but don't even do that. My heart isn't into it right now. I just came off of doing a lot of quilts and I think I burnt myself out. I just wish this would go away. I'm not even reading the quilting magazines I get in the mail. Something's gotta give soon!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Red face procrastination and a long long life.

Oh my you are so so not alone. I have a stack of about 10 full size quilt tops that I spent 3 days pin-basting. They sitting on a chair in my living room waiting for me to start quilting them....ahem, what have I done, made another quilt top, cleaned a closet, set out two new projects to start, in fact every thing except getting those suckers done. Don't know why I am this way but I sure am. Now I will deep clean the kitchen, set up my annual t-shirts and socks tie dye project and then maybe I will want to sit on that chair so I will quilt them up....but when oh when, hopefully before the holidays. Well I go though this every year and so far I have not missed a Christmas so yeah probably before Christmas. In the mean time I will have churned out a couple of more tops, because I superstitiously believe if I ever get caught up I will die. So far I think I will live into the next century, but only if I don't buy any more fabric or make a trip to the thrift store.
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    I have no trouble starting . . . IF I buy fabric specifically for a certain pattern. My trouble is drawing from my stash. "Oh, there's too much of that one and I don't want to waste." "That one would make a nice dress for DD/DGD." "I really love this piece, so should save it for something more special." "I don't have coordinating fabric, for that one." The list goes on and on.
    This is me -- when my stash was smaller I did not have this problem but now I find that I start grabbing fabrics for one quilt, then another, then another and the result is I have a big mess and no place to sew.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    Seems that my problem is so much other stuff to do.
    Abiding in the Vine

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    Thats funny, because I am a great starter and horrible finisher
    I'm with you. I love getting started but hate the sandwiching/quilting part of it. I don't mind doing the binding. I think everyone has their speed bump in a project.

Quote Originally Posted by RosMadeMe View Post
    I am going to make a big admission... I will do every form of displacement therapy to get away from starting a quilt. I have even been known to clean the oven rather than start cutting. I know once I start I will be fine.

Actually I am sitting here tonight looking at a great selection of fabrics and yet I am posting on here...

I have a flying geese quilt in my sights, I have planned it in my mind's eye... so please someone, tell me to get on with it... and it would be lovely to hear that I am not alone!
    And I have been known to start cutting a quilt rather than cleaning the oven!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
    I think all of us have at least ONE part of the quilting process that does not appeal to them. We are all human and have our likes and dislikes. I LOVE my timer! I use this method whether I have a quilting task I don't like...or a housework task that is looming: Set the timer for 15 mins. Then work on that nasty task for ONLY 15 mins. (you know you can do ANYTHING for 15 mins!). After the timer goes off, make yourself go do something else. Could be something you like...just not the 15 mins task. Later, you can come back and do another 15 mins. You will be SHOCKED at how much you can get done in that short amt of time. (I take NO credit for this...go check out the FlyLady..her idea! Just my ahHA moment...off to fold that #%^$^%$@ load of clothes! Bet I can get it folded and put away in 15 mins...ready, set..>GO!) lol (PS you could send it to me to cut out..I like that task!)
    Wonder if I can hear the timer with the vacuum going? That's my most hated job. I'll fold your clothes if you'll vacuum my floors!

It just seems that I can never really get going (at a reasonably fast pace) because I have such a tendency to prick my fingers often and deep, then my fingers are sore and I have to lay off quilting a couple of days, and it happens even with a thimble! I guess I'm just a klutz! LOL

Jeanette Frantz

Quote Originally Posted by liese View Post
    I'm sort of like this -- my problem is I hate to cut into such beautiful fabrics! I LOVE just looking at them, touching them, etc. But when the quilt is done and I get the "Ooooo's and Ahhhh's" from admirers it certainly all worth it. If only they knew what I go through to get to the Done point! LOL Glad I'm not alone.
    I share this problem in that if I have fabrics I absolutely love, I think I have to find just.the.right.pattern or I can't begin. And deciding on that perfect pattern is difficult. Indecision is my middle name! I dither and delay and can't get started because I'm afraid I'll make the wrong decision and ruin this fabric I've fallen in love with. OCD, anal obsessive, or just plain indecisiveness--whatever, it's a darn nuisance!

Blog Entries
    I make 1 trial block to see if i like the pattern and colors then decide if I want to make it. This way I know if it is too hard of a pattern for me.

I too have the opposite problem - I am a great starter, getting finished is my problem. Something else comes along and grabs my attention

I love planning the quilt (buying/finding the fabric, playing with EQ), hate the cutting, love the piecing and am not so fond of the quilting and binding. I find the quilting and binding are what I dread doing just because I feel that I can mess the whole quilt up if the quilting or binding is off. I don't like the cutting because I will undoubtly also mess something cutting. I find the cutting boring but also a task you have to pay attention too (hence the mistake!) I too have been putting off cutting for my next quilt for the past two weeks.

It's nice to know we are all so much alike. I am like "jcrow" and so many others. Due to surgery haven't been touching anything related to sewing. Now I'm stalling and not wanting to go near this quilt that needs edges cut and binding made by bringing fabric back to front. So easy too. Maybe I am just lazy since it is the end of summer.
    I'll be thinking of this thread when I do get back to normal.

Hi
    I have only just started quilting. These pics are my very first attempt. I have made the top and bottom and they are spread over the sofa along with the batting. I'm trying to psyche myself up to make the sandwich. The only sandwich I can face at the moment is a cheese and cheese and onion crisp one, along with a glass of wine....so I won't be quilting tonight. Name:  Firsy Quilt Bottom.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  64.3 KBName:  First Quilt Top.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  72.9 KB

trust me...you are not alone....I just don't have the guts to admit it!

Nice job Newbie!!! luv your pattern selection!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast