Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You Have Your Quilts Quilted? >

How Do You Have Your Quilts Quilted?

How Do You Have Your Quilts Quilted?

Old 01-27-2018, 04:52 PM

I do all my quilts on my DSM.
I've tried a long arm on practice pieces, but I'm not good at it.
If I ever had a windfall of money I would buy a longarm of my own.
I've never sent one out to be done.

Watson
Old 01-27-2018, 05:15 PM

I've had a LA for almost 5 years and do quilting for others (only custom work now), but before I bought it, i used my domestic machine for quilting anything twin size and smaller and sent larger quilts out.

p.S. I help teach a beginner's class and we learn how to sandwich and do some type of walking foot type quilting on our 4 block table runner/wall hanging. some of the local LA'ers wish I didn't do that, but my thought is if we have to send out ALL projects out for quilting then we just don't quilt due to price and process of finding/working with our LA.

Last edited by quiltingshorttimer; 01-27-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:28 PM

I decided right off the bat that I wanted to learn to use a LA. I bought a 15" Bailey on a Grace frame and had that about three years and then bought the HQ Fusion.

I have done FMQ on a domestic machine and really like it, but not the sandwiching or wrestling the big quilts on a small machine.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:40 PM

Gift quilts are sent to a longarm quilter. I, also, send quilts for myself that I want custom (not just E2E) FMQ done.

Charity and my own quilts I typically do on my domestic. I practice FMQ on these and do walking foot quilting.

However, I'll be buying a LA this year when I move. Cannot wait.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

I am in the "other" category. I do them by hand unless they are placemats. Anything larger than that I am to chicken to try.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:02 PM

I quilt mine, king size included, in a domestic machine (Brother PQ1500s). I make a lot of QAYG quilts also.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:31 PM

Most of my quilts are hand quilted by me. Now with that said, most of my smaller quilts (baby, & some minis) are quilted on my Elna 500. I have only sent 2 of my quilts to a longarmer. The only reason they were sent out to be quilted was because they were to large to put on my Grace EZ3 floor frame.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:45 PM

I love doing it all myself, I really enjoy the process: thinking up the project, shopping for fabric, piecing, sandwiching (this is only ok, it's not super fun but I don't hate it either), quilting it, going shopping for binding fabric..I learned a long time ago that when I buy the binding fabric ahead of time I end up hating it with the finished sandwich lol. I've rented a longarm twice for king size quilts but it honestly wasn't that fun, it was loud and the store was busy and people kept coming over to have a peek and wanting to talk to me lol. I did enjoy the difference of moving the machine rather than the fabric though.

I have a Juki 2010 now that I do 95% of my sewing and quilting on but I've done countless blankets and quilts and other fun things on my DSMs. The Juki has so much space comparatively, it's crazy!
Old 01-27-2018, 07:49 PM

All my quilts are done by hand. I enjoy the time quilting. I did try a table runner on the machine once and it was a big mess.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:55 PM

I do quilt as you go on my DSM. The method I use is one from Nancy Zieman's books... combination of a few methods I think. I like piecing better than the quilting but I can't afford to pay someone else to do it for me. I've quilted one by hand on a hoop but that's not happening again!