Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You Have Your Quilts Quilted? >

How Do You Have Your Quilts Quilted?

How Do You Have Your Quilts Quilted?

Old 01-28-2018, 10:38 AM

Smaller ones I do on my home machine and larger pieces are sent to a LA.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:36 AM

It is hard for me to maneuver a large quilt as I age, so I do QAYG, by hand quilting, or FMQ, or by sashiko. If the pattern does not lend itself to qayg, I assemble and send to a LA. But I can't live without some kind of hand stitching...so I often fill in with embroidery work to keep my hands and heart happy.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:04 PM

I do it myself on my dam, but special projects
I try to send out (if I can afford it)
Old 01-28-2018, 12:33 PM

I quilt mine on my longarm. I used to send all mine to one lady near me that had a longarm business. She retired so I bought a used machine. That machine died off in Sept. and I bought an Innova 22 with Lightning Stitch, it is a great machine. I agonized over that purchase because of my age but I am glad I made the investment.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:34 PM

I do my own quilting on my DSM. Just learning FMQ. I mostly do straight or wavy line quilting.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:56 PM

I send the vast majority of my quilts to a longarmer to be quilted. I have done some very simple basic FMQ on my featherweight but they were smaller wallhanging-sized pieces.

I know myself and my quilting/sewing skills well enough to know that if I didn't have them LA'ed I'd probably never finish a quilt. It used to be pretty darned expensive with a very long wait time to have things done by a long arm quilter. That has changed in the past 10-15 years as more and more LA quilters are popping up - at least in my area.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

I quilt my own. I used to use a small dinky Mechanical Brother and could do a respectable meander on it. I don't like ditch stitching and find straight line quilting hard. For me. Then a used Brother PQ 1500 just about fell into my lap and I have practiced more than the meander. I have hand quilted some quilts. I have another one I'm piecing and am going to hand quilt that. I have no deadlines so no hurry. Our quilt shop does FMQ and it is very nice and a lot of my quilting friends have their tops done there. But so far I can and like to do my own.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:14 PM

I send mine to a local LAQ who does an outstanding job! I would love to have a long arm quilter in home. It's on my "want to get" list!
Old 01-28-2018, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

I quilt all my quilts by machine. That is the only way I can say I made it. Mostly FMQ.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:23 PM

I had one quilt sent out to be quilted. I asked the gal not to quilt thru the embroidery. She did. So I decided if this is how it works I might as well buy my own longarm machine and do it myself...............of course I had no idea what I was getting myself into at that time. Since then I went from a 9" to an 18" to a 26". All of them I added robotics to as my hands shake so badly. I still want to learn FM and ruler work so I'm not giving up on myself but I pretty much lean on the robotics to do my work for me. Some might think this is the easy way out but there's still a lot you have to do yourself with robotics such as make up the layout of patterns you want, altering them to work for your quilt, line up and the machine to stitch the pattern where you want it and then of course the usual stuff line basting, etc. Its easier but still there's a lot of work behind the scene you have to tend to.