Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how do you know which pattern to use >

how do you know which pattern to use

how do you know which pattern to use

Old 07-19-2010, 02:52 PM

It can go either way. A pattern can inspire you, or a fabric can inspire. You're lucky because you're in Richmond and have one Quilting Adventures which is of the greatest LQS in the US. Just step in the door there and you'll get inspiration. Sure wish I was closer to it.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:53 PM

My first quilts were twins for our bedroom. I chose the colos first and then decided on the d9p, fortunately I had my daughter to help with the math....but the next one will be a patch with leftover material - some cottons from blouses and skirts...just for fun !
Old 07-20-2010, 06:56 AM

If you're unsure at what kinds of fabric/colors to buy I would suggest looking at pictures of quilts and write down the ones that really excite you, then preceed to make one of your own.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Dee

I see the fabric that says-buy me-I take it into the stash pile and decide later what to make out of it
Old 07-21-2010, 06:18 AM
Banned

I look at what I have in fabric, as I can't buy any, and then decide what I will do. God bless.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:35 AM

It helps me to pick a pattern by looking at the person I'm making the quilt for. This also helps me choose the fabric.
Especially when it comes to crib/lap quilts, theres so many wonderful childrens fabric available. Look at where and how the quilt will be used may help you also. Bed quilt? should coordinate with the persons room colors. The persons personality will help with colors and pattern as well.
Good luck and have fun.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:44 PM

I have also put out the word to "all friends" that when they go to garage sales and/or second hand stores....I am looking for 100 percent cotton material. I pay them back, and have gotten yards and yards of pieces of colors. Then, have used them successfully in quilts. Of course, imagination and courage always work. Then, if I need 'supplemental' colors to finish, it is easy.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:39 PM

Wow, it goes both ways. Today I got fabric for a future quilt that needed a 6th print for. I am also collecting fabrics for 3 other quilts and don't have any idea what pattern I am using.

There are pros and cons to buying the fabric before knowing the pattern... mainly, will I buy enough? There are deals out there that are just too good to pass up and that's when I buy a few yards of each.

If you pick a pattern, you will have a better idea of what you should be shopping for. I made my daughter a queen size in teal, taupe and cream and she loved it (teal is her favorite color). The pattern was simple and I couldn't wait to wrap it for Christmas. My other daughter wants a simple Italian flag. Working on that too.

The patterns for beginners are something like a four patch square. That goes fast and it's simple. Also a strip quilts pattern. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Banned

I recently saw the most exquisitely made lap quilt of maple leaves on beige background and the quilting was maple leaves too------BUT as the fabric was purchased abroad and found to be too little sadly resulting in a ridiculously small quilt, so whatever you do plse don't fall into this trap.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by pstoner
Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
You are going to hear it now!!!

There are some people who see a need (gift for someone) search for a pattern, and then take it to the store and choose JUST the same colors if possible, and JUST the amount of fabric for that project. And THEN, they MAKE the thing. Complete it even, before they LOOK at another piece of fabric or dream of their next quilt.

I am not that person! :mrgreen:

I sometimes am inspired by a fabric, sometimes dream about a pattern....rarely have someone to give it to in mind....
There is no RIGHT way!!!
Just enjoy!
I have to agree with this. Sometimes while I am browsing the fabric at any place I can, (much to DH sorrow), I have to have some fabric-be it color, design, feel....and sometimes as stated above...I wake up in the middle of the night beacuase a pattern has popped into my dreams and then the search begins for the perfect fabric for it. Welcome and just remember which ever way you do it...it will be perfectly fine.
So glad to hear this...Question: when you do wake in the middle of the night do you also go ahead and start the coffee pot, sleep is usually the furtherest thing from my mind at that time :)