Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do you know when to quit sewing for the day?????

Blog Entries
    I quit when I need a change. No matter what happened to warrant the change; children, mistakes, stomach growling, squinting while sewing, dh...., listening to family laugh at funny videos on tv...

In the past I also quit a wip when the recipients looked at it (not knowing it was to be for them) and said "Ewe, whose this for?"
    Go forth and sew!

Blog Entries
    The sun sets.......and i would have to turn on lights to continue

When it's not fun anymore, it's time to quit. Quilting is a hobby (for most of us), so it should be fun. Walking away, doing something else will give you perspective. I don't know how many times, I've had a great idea or solution to a problem right when I wake up in the morning.

I stop when either I get tired of what I am working on or I start to hurt. I have this one spot on my left shoulder/neck area that starts and if I don't stop I will be out for days. and taking meds I don't like. I took yesterday off because my little fuzzy face was sick and wanted me near so I spent the day reading instead of sewing. I guess I needed the break to since I did miss the machine one bit.

As far as the fabric look at maybe piecing your border, sometimes cut up in smaller pieces it looks better. or as Doghousemom suggested trade with someone.

One time I was sewing very late...and was very tired. I had decided to JUST square up one edge of my project and call it quits for the night. I hit it with my rotary cutter...and as I completed the swipe I realized I had cut down the wrong side of the ruler (because I walked up to the off side of the cutting table). I promptly CUT THE TOP 1/3 off of a finished quilt (it was to be a crib sized quilt). I ABOUT C-R-O-A-K-E-D.

Another time as a novice quilter (sewing very late again) I was having a very hard time matching seams/intersections on a very busy quilt...etc. I perservered and got it done. I had used tons of pins to hold/match things and normally my blocks are proper size and things go together with few headaches. HELLO? BIG RED FLAG?! I sewed the mess together and then put it up on my design wall. As I backed up I realized I had sewed the entire row on UPSIDE DOWN...and it was a visual disaster. I had to pick it alllllllllll out the next day.

Moral to the story? DO NOT SEW TIRED... when you feel pushed and exhausted... STOP (working)...DROP (your rotary cutter) AND ROLL (into bed)....lol
    "It's a *fine line* between HOBBY and MENTAL ILLNESS"~ Dave Barry

When my back and arms ache, the stitching does what I tell it to do instead of what I want it to do, my frustration begins, and I get crabby! Best thing to do, in any weather, for me is to go outside. Just hike a bit, stop to enjoy the beauty of nature - although now its frozen - and relax. Then back to the sewing room, put on some pretty music, thank God for all your blessings and begin again.

Blog Entries
    I take a break when my eyes cross lol. If I have to unsew, when I'm done I take a break. If it's getting late in the evening, I quit if my bobbin runs out. Sometimes I quit if the phone rings, or the dog needs out, or a fav tv show comes on, or my coffee mug is empty. There always seems to be a handy excuse when it's time for a break.
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

I quit after the 1st mistake cause I know it will only go downhill from there!

Quote Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
    When I make my 1st really stupid mistake and then immediately do it again when I try to correct it. LOL.
    So so familiar. Time to tidy up or come on this forum or have a cuppa etc.
    Annie

When I get tired nothing looks right so I have to do something else. Yesterday it was sorting the scrap tub. It was a nice change and nothing had to match.

When fatigued or frustrated, walk away. Time spent stitching under duress generally proves counterproductive for me. I always have things to straighten or organize if I am not ready to leave the sewing room or else, I cut the light off and do something else. Sometimes you just need to mentally digest things to work them through. By giving yourself time and space to do so, you can return to the project with a fresh perspective and new found energy. After all, when it ceases to be enjoyable, why do it?

I know when it's time to stop, when I can't seem to get my seams to match. I am afraid I will get too frustrated
    I never believe in the word can't,unless you've tried

Senior Member peacequiltingnana's Avatar
    I've learned to stop when I start feeling rushed or that I need to hurry to finish. Sure sign I'm getting tired and it's not feeling like so much fun anymore. If I don't stop when I feel that way I'm sure to make a mistake that has to be ripped out!

I too just quit when I'm tired. Since I'm retired now I can just continue the next day.
    Kathy Stewart from IA
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kath_stirut

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    When to quit? well that is an individual thing-usually I quit when I mess up !! LOL Then I leave it for a day or so then go back to it -even if the fabric seems wrong at that moment or if it truly is wrong -that goes into a box for future use and then I pull out something else to match it hopefully if not then future usage of that material.
    My eyes are the first to tell me when to quit .. LOL they say enough is enough, walk away .. LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I know its time to quit when I start thinking of something else I'd rather be doing or that I have to do. If I'm not 100% excited about what I'm doing, or at least 75%, its time to quit.

I quit after I rip ,resew and then find it was right the first time! Or if I really don'[t feel up to it and make too many mistakes in a row. Just turn everything of and go play here for a while.lol
    Kathy Osterby

Quote Originally Posted by imdelagarza62 View Post
    I have learned to stop when I get tired. Once I was making all of my nieces bunnies in dresses for Easter, was so tired, but had to make 8 in 1 week. I ended up making 16 because I kept making right sides, so couldn't just waste those, ended up selling the rest at craft sale. Rabbits really do multiply!
    Ilma, that is so funny! I have done the same thing with iron-on appliqué, trying to figure out which side to put the "sticky" on! I made a LOT more blocks than I intended!
    ~( ) Jeri

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Osterby View Post
    I quit after I rip ,resew and then find it was right the first time! Or if I really don'[t feel up to it and make too many mistakes in a row. Just turn everything of and go play here for a while.lol
    I have had the same experience. Aslo if I stick myself too many times or start cutting wrong I stop. Also I hand embroider when I am too tired to quilt but feel the urge to still do something creative.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I quit when I start making the same mistake , or dumb mistakes , more frequently then my usual.
    Me too - some days I can go for hours, other days I lose concentration the moment I start and I'll even do the same thing wrong the same way twice. Time to go find out what's really on my mind so I can go back to quilting!
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Blog Entries
    When I start making mistakes. I also stop when I absolutely have to fix dinner, go to a meeting or other such stuff. It takes quite a bit to get me out of my sewing studio.
    Peggy
    Keep on Quilting!
    http://www.beehivequilts.com
    http://www.beehivequilt.blogspot.com/

Usually around the time I injure myself or commit a sewing error which will result in lots of seam ripping.

Fortunately, I generally quit for the night before I'm too tired to hold my head up and one of the aforementioned events happens.

A fresh perspective can solve many frustrations.

Cheers, K

Making those duh mistakes is always a good sign to walk away. For me, it's when my arms feel too heavy to lift, my shoulders are so tight they are up around my ears, and/or a sudden neck spasm pulls my head sideways. LOL, Actually, those last are signs I should have quit a while ago. Mainly, when I feel my shoulders so tense and I can't relax them down with biofeedback, then I know I need a break before it gets any worse.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I usually quit when my furbabies come into my sewing room and tell me its time...they don't take no for an answer! and when things aren't going right. I try to pick apart what's not right and start fresh another day. If the fabrics aren't just what I want, I sleep on it and within a day or 2 come up with something much better! So glad you found the perfect fabric!!!

Yep, it's time to walk away for a while. If it's at night, I go to bed or go 'veg out' somewhere until bedtime. If it's during the day and I have the luxury (LOL) I try to lay down for a few minutes in a quiet area. This gives my body and my mind a rest. If the only thing I can do is obsess about it even if I've walked away sometimes I will go back, lay it out on the table or floor or a bed in another room, walk around and look at it at different angles and if that doesn't work ... start going through my stash again, but for therapy not looking for something. It's amazing what fabric is hiding until you start sorting and touching and fondling (LOL)!

Why not post a picture of your quilt and border and see what we folks think. If there's one thing this group is, we are honest about our opinions!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast