Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You Make Your Own Extension Table? >

How Do You Make Your Own Extension Table?

How Do You Make Your Own Extension Table?

Old 09-01-2017, 05:57 AM

Default How Do You Make Your Own Extension Table?

Currently, my various machines just sit on top of my desk when I'm sewing. This is OK for most sewing and piecing, but it's not so great for FMQing. I'd love to have a flat surface and not have my machine raised up on top of the table. I have very little space, so I can't really go out and buy a sewing table that has a well in it to put my machine(s). Plus, I'm pretty frugal, so I don't want to spend a lot of money. Lastly, as I said, I have a very compact space to work in. I'm curious if any of you have come up with good "jerry rig" solutions to tackle this problem?

Thanks!

~ C
Old 09-01-2017, 06:07 AM

I use the ironing board and card table when I need them. They can bot be folded and put away when not in use.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

i have a table to put on the side also
Old 09-01-2017, 06:42 AM

Thanks...However, I'm not talking about extending the flat serface to make it larger per se. I'm trying to find a good way to either sink my machine down to the table level, or build up the table to the sewing machine level, all within a limited space. Sorry...I guess I wasn't very clear on that.

~ Cindy
Old 09-01-2017, 06:55 AM

I've seen online where people have bought thick foam to surround their machine and bring the surface up to flush, usually with a layer of vinyl sort of "tented" over the top to hold everything in place and provide some slip. (Hole cut out for needle, of course)

If you can find a desk with a deep enough drawer in the right spot, it might work to cut a hole in the desktop and let your machine sit in the drawer; just shim it up to be level with the top.

What if you took some plywood and cut it into a shape that would fit around your machine, you could use wooden dowels or similar to make legs for it, and it could just sit on top of whatever surface you're sewing on? Like a giant extension bed. You could laminate the top with contact paper for better slip. Or a good coat of polyurethane might also work?
Old 09-01-2017, 07:02 AM

Thanks Sewnoma...that's what I'm talking about. I have one more requirement...I've got to be able to store it in as little space as possible. I wish they made "blow up" ones...LOL.
~ C
Old 09-01-2017, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post

If you can find a desk with a deep enough drawer in the right spot, it might work to cut a hole in the desktop and let your machine sit in the drawer; just shim it up to be level with the top.
I may consider cutting a hole in my desk and buying the hardware to hold my "sunken" machine. I don't have a drawer below it. It's just open space where I put my legs and feet when sewing.

~ C
Old 09-01-2017, 08:25 AM

I just added a shelf onset my desk with plywood and L brackets to hold it up. The hardware store can cut the plywood for you. I was fortunate enough to have a DH to cut the hole for my machine. If your machine has a top loading bobbin, you can cut the hole just big enough for your machine, but if you have a front loading bobbin, you will want a bigger hole with an insert to go around it. Sewing Machines Plus sells the custom cut inserts for $50-75 depending on how big you need.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

Marguerita McManus posted a series of Youtube videos on how to build a sewing machine surround out of styrofoam. My dh did this for me using a sheet of styrofoam insulation from the hardware store, covered with cheap vinyl from Walmart. The only thing is that styrofoam is messy to cut. However, the surround works very well for me. Quilting while standing up is much easier on my body, so I move my sewing machine to my cutting table and position the styrofoam around it. The surround is lightweight, so easy for me to handle. When not in use, I store it upright between the wall and my sewing machine cabinet. I don't remember how much the styrofoam cost, but I know it wasn't very much. It cost a lot less than buying a custom surround, plus it is much bigger.

Here are links to the Youtube videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14govA4pIM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAS25v3ZTk0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0lk7UBQgZY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwrA...F28BF9&index=6
Old 09-01-2017, 06:13 PM

My husband made me a larger table by cutting a piece of plexiglass. He traced the shape of the machines profile on paper and then transfered it to the plexiglass. He cut it out and sanded it smooth then he countersunk bolts to hold it level with my machine bed. Hope this helps.Anna

Last edited by hybearn8er; 09-01-2017 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Wrong word.