Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you organize your scraps.

Blog Entries
    I've seen so many gorgeous quilts made with scraps and they have inspired me to start saving mine. But my question is do I sort by size, color, motif, or what? I have found when piecing blocks I'm not a fan of pieces less than 1 1/2". Also do I make up blocks with leftovers as I finish a quilt or mix them all together with other scraps? It seems to me to be harder to put a scrap quilt together than a planned one.

organize?????????????????????????????????????

Right now mine are not organized at all. Although, I hope to get them sorted by colors in the near future. I think this would be easier to put together scrappy quilts.

my method of organization is...." all in my sewing room" LOL/..... in a perfect world, I'd sort my color amd or theme( since I do alot of quilting for Veterans, I have one area set aside for patriotic fabrics)

but mostly, I'm content if, I get it all into one room... smile

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    I cut my leftover fabric into squares. starting with 8.5, 5.5 3.5 and 2.5. the rest that are striplike I put in a bag for a future string quilt. the squares are separated and kept by sz. I have almost enough of the 8.5 of Christmas motif for a full sz quilt! and the 5.5 will be for a masculine quilt to send my dsil who will be in Aphfanistan (sp) in June. So, for me cutting the extra fabric right away, with a project in mind, helps.

I did a post on my blog a while back on this. You can view it here:

http://andicrafts.wordpress.com/2010...ing-the-stash/

i don't cut mine down until i need them.

i typically use my scraps to make swap blocks since each block doesn't have to be made from the same fabric just the same color requirements of the swap.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrio
    I cut my leftover fabric into squares. starting with 8.5, 5.5 3.5 and 2.5. the rest that are striplike I put in a bag for a future string quilt. the squares are separated and kept by sz. I have almost enough of the 8.5 of Christmas motif for a full sz quilt! and the 5.5 will be for a masculine quilt to send my dsil who will be in Aphfanistan (sp) in June. So, for me cutting the extra fabric right away, with a project in mind, helps.
    I'm with you. Only in the past six months have I started this habit. When all my pieces (including binding) are cut for a quilt, if the remaining pieces are less than 1/4 yd, I cut it up...usually into 2 1/2 inch strips, but sometimes into 5" squares. I take real "scraps" and put them into a shopping bag. I've only done this this year, since I discovered Crumb Squares. I realize I've thrown away many quilts in my trash can over the past ten years.
    I do not organize any of my scraps by color.

Blog Entries
    Mine are in tubs by color. I tried cutting into specific sizes but never had the right size so now I don't cut until I know what I need. This is not very organized, but it works for me.

Mine are organized by boxes. When the first box fills up, start a new one. So far there are 5 going plus a huge tote on wheels. Each one is a new present when I decide to dig through it.

I try to organize my fabric but none of it cooperates for very long especially scraps so just put them in one of those zippered bed linen bags so they can reproduce. Strings are in a wicker picnic basket with a lid...who knows what they get up to!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Mine are organized by boxes. When the first box fills up, start a new one. So far there are 5 going plus a huge tote on wheels. Each one is a new present when I decide to dig through it.
    LOL, this is what I do too! :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    That's the method I use. At last count, I had about 20! Surprises in every box!!! :thumbup:

You'll get a ton of different ideas and then incorporate what works for you.

I keep my wof strips in one tote all weird sizes
    2.5" WOF strips go into a separate pile
    odd size strips go into yet another pile, I periodically will sort this into similiar sizes like all the 3", 4" 5" , 6", 12" etc.

Squares-I only keep 5" and 6.5" squares, the rest I add to the strip piles in the appropriate piles.

It sounds like I'm very organized but I'm not, usually my piles tend to land on top of each other, then into a giant tub where I ignore the.

Right now, I'm trying to get a bunch of my scraps used up. I started sewing all my strips together on the long side, then I trim them up, and then add a solid color along the top and bottom...sort of like this:

http://www.mspquiltingangels.org/bom/sept2010.htm

but random width of strips.

I trim to a size that will eventually make a square once I add the strips...like if I only have 4" long strips then I'll make a 6.5" block, if I have 8" long strips I'll make a 12" block. Or I'll get discourged and cut all of the down to the same size and make one size block...

Once I have enough of one size blocks I'll put them together somehow.

sometimes I just use the mile a minute technique to make crumb blocks

http://quiltingisstillmypassion.blog...-tutorial.html

Blog Entries
    My scraps are organized by size and color. 1 ĹĒ & smaller together by color (or at least they start out that way.) Larger scraps and strips same thing. As Iím working they get all mixed up. Every so often Iíll take the time to straighten them out or some fabric I like gets lost and forgotten at the bottom.

IMHO I would wait to make the blocks and mix up all of your fabric when you start the scrappy quilt. This way the fabrics are mixed through the blocks throughout the quilt. That's just my take on it and there arenít any rules you must follow for this.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    My scraps are in specific bins, tubs and drawers..

Each Accuquilt shapes have a sterilite drawer all of its own
    strips less than10 inches but longer than 5 inches of has a a sterilite drawer all of its own
    Strips longer than 10 inches but less than WOF has a sterilite drawer all of its own
    2 inch strips are hanging on the back of the door
    1.5 x wof has a sterilite drawer all of its own
    2.5 x WOF strips has a a sterilite drawer all of its own
    3x WOF strips have a sterilite drawer all of its own
    5x WOF strips have a sterilite drawer all of its own
    all other strips x WOF are separated by colors and has a sterilite drawer all of its own
    Crumbs have a sterilite drawer all of its own
    Scraps less than a fq but larger than 6x6 has a sterilite drawer all of its own
    2 in sq have a sterilite drawer all of its own
    3 in sq have a sterilite drawer all of its own
    4 in sq have a sterilite drawer all of its own
    5 in sq have a sterilite drawer all of its own

And that's how my room is organized..

I followed Bonnies method.. www.quiltville.com.

I throw all my scraps in big totes, so consequently I have 5 big totes to go through and cut into strips and squares, then I sort them by size first, then background color. I've got 3 more totes to go through, then I'm going to send them to a very dear friend who doesn't have a lot of money and is absolutely thrilled when I send her a couple spools of thread.

Here is my problem...scraps

I have about 4 plastic bins of 4" squares, one of 5" squares, two of 6" squares and 2", 2.5", 3", 3.5", and 4" strips as well.

But this is untamed.

And I am determined to use more of them up. I'm looking into scrappy log cabin (saw a beautiful one on here recently), another strips 1.5" one, and probably several more random scrappy squares.

these plastic bags full hold 120 liters. The right one is full. The left one isn't yet. The wicker basket has scraps ...
    Name:  Attachment-184631.jpe
Views: 47
Size:  136.9 KB

more...I do have a problem..albeit a nice one.
    Name:  Attachment-184638.jpe
Views: 67
Size:  154.2 KB

the left bag has 1.5" strips and the right misc. that need to be cut
    Name:  Attachment-184667.jpe
Views: 41
Size:  152.2 KB

filled with 2.5" squares that I need to use up. So far have made scrappy irish chains--have 5 in the works...
    Name:  Attachment-184668.jpe
Views: 48
Size:  157.4 KB

They are stuffed in a drawer. I am lucky to have my regular fabric somewhat sorted.

WELL Folks --if some of the stash of scraps need a home, I know of several good causes!
    PM when you want to clean up the mess...that is what I did.
    OR you can make scrap quilts, and there are several groups that are tickled pink to get unfinished tops to give to those in need......I find that a superb way to clean my spare room----
    Monday I am sending out 26 quilt tops to two different groups.

Blog Entries
    thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by AndiR
    I did a post on my blog a while back on this. You can view it here:

http://andicrafts.wordpress.com/2010...ing-the-stash/

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    I sort them by color and put them in clear boxes. They look kinda pretty on the shelf!

Minbe are very organised. They are crammed into carrier bags and make a humungus mess all over the floor when I am looking for a scrap, before being crammed back in. It is a great method! :lol:

I've just started a system, so I don't know yet whether it will work. I have a couple of books on scrap quilts 'cause they're my favorites.

If the piece is about the size/shape of a fat quarter, I keep it intact for large blocks and keep these pieces separated by lights and darks.

Smaller scraps I cut into the sizes I would most commonly use: 2.5" strips; 2.5" squares; and bricks that are usually 3.5" by 5". Each of these are sorted by lights and darks.

I'm learning that the most successful scrappy quilts depend on value rather than color, which is why I keep them just by light and dark. As I use them, I can sort again into medium-light and medium-dark. Anyway, that's my current new system!

Anita

i don't....hope i'm not the only one!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast