Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you quilt flannel? >

How do you quilt flannel?

How do you quilt flannel?

Old 02-01-2015, 05:33 AM

Default How do you quilt flannel?

I have been gifted boxes of flannel. I thought it would be great to use as backing for my quilts. I have never tried this before and I don't know how to quilt it. Should I tie it, straight line quilt or can I free motion it.

Any help you can give will be appreciated.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:47 AM

I would use it just like any other fabric, The make nice warm cozy quilts. Am not sure what type they are just be sure they are washed since they will shrink some mainly if you use it with other types of fabric. Backings would be wonderful too. as for the sandwiching and quilting I feel that is really up to you because they would do great either way.

Last edited by JAGSD; 02-01-2015 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:48 AM

I love to use flannel as a backing on my quilts. I have been doing this for years. If it was cheap flannel, I prewash it.Otherwise, I use it unwashed. I quilt it as I would any quilt. Then, I bind and wash. Yes, I know....shrinkage, etc. But it has never been a problem. The quilt always shrinks/shrivels/whatever equally for me, once it's been quilted. And my quilts are frequently gifts with a replacement guarantee. In 20+ years, I've never been informed about a falling-apart or deteriorated quilt so this is my method and I'm sticking with it! 8^))
Old 02-01-2015, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

From what I understand, you need to pre-wash the flannel. I am doing my first flannel backing on a quilt for a person in a wheelchair. That was what was asked for. I am going to be very careful pinning it but am tempted to spray the flannel when I baste.

There are lots of different cute patterns for making rag quilts.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

i agree about the prewashing... i'd wash and dry in hot more than once. since you don't know anything about the flannel, they could be real shrinkers.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:43 AM

I use flannel all the time on the back of my quilts I never prewash. I have never had a problem with them. The flannel makes the quilt nice and warm. Plus you can get it on sale for a great price.

This log cabin quilt has flannel on the back.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]508354[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]508355[/ATTACH]

Don't use the wide flannel for the back. It is not very soft or warm. Snuggle flannel works great!
Attached Thumbnails rainbow-log-cabin-back.jpg   rainbow-log-cabin-chair-2.jpg  
Old 02-01-2015, 07:04 AM

I quilt flannel like any other fabric, but have only ever made an 'all flannel' quilt. I don't pre-wash any fabric, including flannel.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:57 AM

I like the AE Nathan wide flannel--it washed up warm and soft for me. I get it at fabric.com. I have also used other brands of regular width--they do well, too. I've had no trouble with them--either with regular quilting or tying. I don't usually prewash, unless I'm worried about a really dark color or a red bleeding.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:58 AM

I will have to try the AE Nathan wide flannel. The one I used in one of my quilts sucked. Even after washing the quilt it wasn't soft.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

I love flannel in quilts and quilt them how ever I feel like quilting that particular quilt. Flannel is a wonderful cotton fabric, no reason to be worried about it. I buy most of my flannels from fabric.com also. I buy the wide flannel then dye it the way I want it for my quilt, it dyes beautifully and is soft & cozy. I do not prewash over & over again, once is plenty, with detergent, no fabric softener. I use ( warm) water & a regular dryer cycle, taking it out when it is just dry - don't over dry any of your fabrics, it makes it difficult to get the wrinkles out.