Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how do you quilt when >

how do you quilt when

how do you quilt when

Old 02-14-2011, 11:42 AM

you have a domintally black top , with some blue and pink, but the back is a cream with some blue and pink, almost a reversal of colors. what color thread would use, as I am wondering if the black from the top will show through to the cream on the bottom. Just wondering what quilters do in this situation, as I am fairly new to quilting and have never come across this topic yet.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

I quilt mine based on what looks best on the quilt top.
I do not like using different colors and deal with the tension, and often I look for backing that matches the thread choice(s) for the top.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:48 AM

depending on the design and colors, many times you can use a variegated thread-sounds like no matter what you use in your quilt, the thread will show on the top and back-which isn't a bad thing if the quilting is nice and doesn't detract from the overall design. If you don't want the quilting stitches to show very much on the top, then try matching to the top, and allow it to show on the back. Can you post a picture of the front and back so we can see it??? It helps to see a picture.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:56 AM

Although I have been lucky with my machine and tension, I agree entirely with Amma.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I quilt mine based on what looks best on the quilt top.
I do not like using different colors and deal with the tension, and often I look for backing that matches the thread choice(s) for the top.
Me, too. Getting the tension perfect is tough for me.

FREE Quilting Newsletter